Exit

Branching View doesn't update with new links

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm using Captivate 9.0.2.437

I'm using the branched view. When I update an action to jump to a different slide - the branched view doesn't change at all.

See image below - one of the buttons was changed to jump to slide 16. Slide 16 is still listed in the 'Unlinked slide' section. It also isn't listed as a linked slide underneath the slide in the branched view, or linked to in the branched view.

I have tried closing out of the branching view and opening it again. I've double checked the slide in the normal view to ensure that the button has definitely been updated, and it has.

Has anyone experience this before? Is there a way to 'refresh' the branching view - other than closing out of the program and reopening it again?

Thank you

unlinkedslides.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branching panel is rather limited, only direct branching will be shown, not branching that is done with an advanced action. That makes the panel not very useful, reason why it is so hidden. Personally I stopped using it since several versions because of those limitations. Very long ago I wrote one post about it, maybe I should just take it out of my blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilly.

It's a shame - I really struggle to create branched eLearning when I'm looking at a list of slides - linking slides together and making sure everything is correct is really difficult.

The buttons don't have advanced actions, just simple 'jump to slide' actions. It's frustrating that the branching view doesn't update immediately.

Thanks,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try to double-check today.  Because of the limitatios of the Branching view panel, for really complicated courses I switch to other applications like Visio. If it is indeed correct what you describe, this should be logged as a bug. Will be back later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to follow-up on this question. Has this issue been fixed? I'm using Captivate 9.0.2.437 and I still don't see the branching -jump to a slide option work.

I've created a course with sections and am using variables to control the branching. But, I'm also using the Captivate play bar thinking I can control the section navigation using Captivate's branching panel.

But the branching panel doesn't work and at the end of a section the Next button in the play bar just moves to the next slide rather than jumping to the branched slide.

I'm just curious to know if there is any other solution to my dual navigation style. Can't I keep the next and back buttons for the sections and then use the variable branching to move to the selected section.

Here's a snapshot of what I'm trying to say:

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this is the same: branching achieved by advanced actions (you talked about variables, so I suspect you mean advanced or shared actions) will NOT appear in the Branching view at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Next button the playbar will always simply move to the next slide in the slide order.  You cannot control its behaviour via Advanced Actions.  If you want total control over the navigation AND you intend using dynamic branching as navigation,  then you need to turn OFF the playbar (or at least those buttons on it that move back, forward, and next).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added a continue button on the last slide of each section to take the users back to the main menu. And since I was also using the playbar I thought I could control the Next button on the last slide. But looks like the Branching View action doesn't work and the slide still moves to the next slide instead of jumping to my main menu.  It's sad to see the limitation of Captivate in this section and I wonder why this hasn't been fixed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AS Rod already told: the control buttons on the playbar are like the buttons on a recorder. If you want the Next Button to go to another slide than the physically next slide, you need to forget about the playbar and use custom navigation buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, thank you guys for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources