• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR fails to display Nikon D850 GPS metadata

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened before with Nikon D800E when it was new. Then a LR update fixed the problem. Is anybody else having this problem? I am using the latest version of LR classic. If I take the image into PS and bring back to LR as a Tiff the GPS tag appears. This is my work around for now. Any better solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

When I import that .nef into my LR 7.3.1, it imports the GPS location too:

which indicates the issue is particular to your LR.

Perhaps something is screwy with metadata import presets.  Try setting Apply During Import > Metadata to None and importing a sample image -- does the GPS location import?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I don't have a D850, I am guessing, but does the Lightroom menu  command Metadata->Read Metadata From Files work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, tried that. No go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a sample file straight from the camera (not imported into LR) and upload it to Dropbox or similar, and post the sharing link here. This will let us see if the problem occurs with all installations of LR or just yours, narrowing down the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As requested here is the link to file DSC0515.NEF. GPS coordinates are present when viewed in camera and this file is straight from the XQD card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmdp8rie0vnh3dr/_DSC0515.NEF?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import that .nef into my LR 7.3.1, it imports the GPS location too:

which indicates the issue is particular to your LR.

Perhaps something is screwy with metadata import presets.  Try setting Apply During Import > Metadata to None and importing a sample image -- does the GPS location import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did as you suggested and the GPS data does come in as expected. I double checked my usual import preset which has only my copyright info. The GPS metadata is not checked. Stange. So for now I will just import with Import preset set to "none" and add copyright info later. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Import window, in the Apply During Import panel on the right, is Metadata set to None?  If not, then you are applying a metadata preset to the photos when they get imported, and that metadata preset may be clearing the GPS field in the catalog.  Edit the preset and make sure Camera Info > GPS is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Apply During Import does not have any GPS settings. In other words it is not checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Apply During Import does not have any GPS settings. In other words it is not checked

Just to clarify, when editing an metadata develop preset, if the GPS field is blank (no GPS settings) but there is a check mark to the right, then that will clear the GPS field in the catalog:

So your preset has no checkmark on the right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, no check mark to the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or try making a new preset from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats the next thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines