• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Rendering Of Standard Previews in LR Classic 7.3

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do my files that are rendered as Standard previews take such a long time? It takes a few seconds before I can clearly see if the image is sharp or not. It's very stressful to wonder if my images turned out every single I move from image to image. Initially I thought it was 7.3.1 so I reverted back to 7.3, but it's still the same. This issue is also apparent when cropping in on an image. After choosing my crop and pressing R to apply, the image doesn't look sharp until I click on the image to zoom in it, then click again to zoom back out.

I'm a weeding photographer that will edit over a thousand images for any particular wedding and the wait for each image to load properly or apply any changes is infuriating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try if it makes a difference to turn off the GPU acceleration as described here: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed I had disabled the GPU and followed just about every performance enhancing trick. Short of flushing steroids into my computer, I am not sure what to do. Perhaps giving 7.3.1 another chance might solve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share the specs of your computer (CPU, RAM, Disk-type, Graphic ... OS)

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel i7-6700 3.40Ghz

16.0GB RAM

512GB SSD for sytem files and programs

4TB HD (WD Black) filled to half capacity for data files, RAID 0

Windows 64 bit OS

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keithp58015684  wrote

Why do my files that are rendered as Standard previews take such a long time?

Are you referring to viewing in the Library Module, or the Develop Module or somewhere else? Does the problem go away or improve if you store 1:1 previews instead of Standard Previews?

How big are your photos in megapixels? (Do not tell me megabytes)

How big is your monitor in pixels? (Do not tell me inches)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try doing 1:1 previews. Most of my files are shot in RAW with my Canon 5DMIV (5040 X 3360, 17M). I have an ASUS 27" PB278Q (2560 x 1440 Resolution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keithp58015684  wrote

I did try doing 1:1 previews.

And did this help?

Also, are you referring to the Library Module or the Develop Module, or somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making 1:1 previews to work with in the Develop module does produce sharp images and I do not have to click on the photo to zoom in and again to zoom out in order to see the full quality of the shot.

Are you saying that the only way to see the sharpness of a photo is to render 1:1 previews? I don't recall having to do so in older versions of LR. Should the Standard previews be good enough? Generating 1:1 previews for 800+ photos is a time consuming ordeal, especially when other software like ACDSee allows you to import RAW files for culling much more quickly without these types of issues with quality and sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keithp58015684  schrieb

Are you saying that the only way to see the sharpness of a photo is to render 1:1 previews?

Exactly! It always was this way .. and will be. You cannot see/judge the available and real sharpness available with a down-scaled photo, and that is not depending on the software, that applies to all photo software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the only way to see full quality of any given RAW in LR is to make 1:1 Previews, then that would mean that a little program like ACDSee is "lightyears" ahead of being able to check the same RAW file. I merely say this because, and please correct me if ACDSee is doing something different that is giving me this impression, I can literally, within ACDSee, click on a folder to browse that has 500+ photos and almost immediately start culling through them and zooming in 1:1 in order to make my final selection for editing in LR.

Thank God for this because, at the very least, I can feel reassured that the photo is indeed sharp prior to editing in LR by using another software. Generating 1:1 Previews in LR is not a quick process.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know ACDSee. However, I strongly suspect that in the situation you are describing you are looking at the enbedded JPG Previews and not at a rendered RAW.

LR offers something similar as well: Embedded Preview workflow in Lightroom Classic CC

The embedded previews are well ok to quickly see if an image is out of focus, but for more you need the rendered RAW.

In general - and this has nothing to do with ANY software - judging the quality of an image always needs ALL pixel of an image. This is specially true for judging sharpness and noise. This is why these two settings must be made in 1:1 view so that 1 pixel of the image exactly maps to 1 pixel on your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keithp58015684  wrote

Are you saying that the only way to see the sharpness of a photo is to render 1:1 previews? I don't recall having to do so in older versions of LR. Should the Standard previews be good enough? Generating 1:1 previews for 800+ photos is a time consuming ordeal, especially when other software like ACDSee allows you to import RAW files for culling much more quickly without these types of issues with quality and sharpness.

That's the tradeoff in LR. You can either spend the time at Import to generate 1:1 previews, or you can spend the time as you scroll through each image to check sharpness, and then the 1:1 previews are rendered. Your choice.

Lightroom Classic CC has a new feature which makes the software more effective at culling, similar to (but not exactly the same as) ACDSee. You ought to look up the details of how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines