• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 StageWebView useNative=true renders Blank Window

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a StageWebView and pass "useNative=true", I get a blank white window when I compile my application for Window desktop for Windows 10.

I absolutely can not rely on the WebKit included in AIR, as we all know its very old and has lots of JS bugs.

I am also aware of the very popular WebViewANE created by Tuarua. This is great for most people but the problem is that his ANE forces the user to install things like Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 & 2015 Redistributables, and the .NET 4.6 Framework.  The application I am creating is going to be used in emergency call centers, and it CAN NOT force the computers running the application to install these runtimes because that could interfere with their current systems.

The thing that kinda sucks about this ANE existing,  is Adobe has essentially completely abandoned caring about trying to fix the problem with StageWebView. Literally the ONLY options without using an ANE on Windows 10 Desktop are:

- Use StageWebView with "useNative=false" and get a super old outdated webview that brakes pretty much 99% of modern javascript.

- Use StageWebView with "useNative=true" and get a blank white square.

I found this thread How do you use AIR's WebKit/htmlloader?  where Chris Campbell was gathering everyone's insight... and he even stated on September 18, 2015:

"I'm really leaning towards (3) too, with the added part that this should be an open source ANE.  I've hoped to have started further investigation into this by now but we've had other priorities bump this.  It's not forgotten though, and I'm hoping we might see it in a v21 time frame."

Seeing as how we never saw that ANE for AIR version 21... and we're now almost on AIR version 30.... do I abandon hope? Is Adobe completely cool with letting the future of AIR on Windows Desktop be tied to the efforts of 1 random guy who made an ANE? What if he moves on and stops providing updates? As amazing as Tuarua is, we can't possibly depend on his efforts to carry AIR on forever can we?

@Tuarua, in case you read this I mean no disrespect to the amazing work you've done for the WebViewANE. You picked up the ball that Adobe lost 3 years ago, and I know I'm not alone in saying thank you.

Now I know Adobe said updating the WebKit in AIR is a lot of work, but I'm not asking that. I'm simply asking for you to fix the "useNative=true" for windows 10 to allow the system browser to run.

EDIT: after messing around some more, I found that my problem was actually 2 javascript errors. I had 1 comma in the wrong place and so it rendered the entire window blank, instead of just continuing on like it does for Mac, or if you set "useNative=false".

I also discovered that "useNative=true" on Windows 10 suddenly causes any "JSON.parse" or "JSON.stringify" to think "JSON" is undefined. I found a work around to add this meta data to your html to make IE understand JSON correctly:  <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EDGE" />

Regardless of the errors, my point still stand that Adobe needs to create its own WebView solution instead of being lazy and letting Tuarua do all the hard work.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines