• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Most insidious bug still not defeated: Crashing upon dragging audio clips (CC 2018)

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is by far the worst bug in the latest release of Adobe Premiere Pro. It has occurred in all versions of CC 2018, on all computer configurations (Mac and PC), significantly impacting my profits on the video production work I do with already slim margins.

Steps to reproduce the bug

• Create a New Premiere Project
  • Edit real world footage and formats. Some AVCHD, MOVs, MP4s and/or MP3 and WAVs
  • Add default transitions, movie audio clips around in the timeline
  • Premiere will crash randomly when moving clips around, particularly after you've hit Play on the Program Monitor (if it is within a few seconds of the last clip edit) -- spinning wheel occurs and Premiere never starts responding
  • This causes the majority of crashes we experience. It is a pain to do any fine editing and costs us tonnes of money.

Does Adobe even know about this issue? Yes -- I've probably sent in a dozen bug reports. Is it on the Forum? Yes -- there's at least a dozen forum posts I know of where users are talking about this issue. So what gives? How can we fix this? Why hasn't Adobe fixed it? And where do I get my money back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

These type of crashes don't trigger a crash log or bug report -- these are general "Not responding" type of freezes and closes. Although I have a slew of other crashes that might be related from my Mac workstation that I've saved to Dropbox and have been sharing on the Bug Report form when I file these bugs.

Which bug report form? We are using User Voice for that now. I showed a link earlier. Here you go: Premiere Pro: Hot (1270 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer Specs (all of have experienced this problem, not to mention a pipeline of other annoying bugs and buggettes):

PC Config - i7 8700k, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4

Two identical Macbook Mid 2015 - Max specs

iMac 2013 - High End specs

iMac 2010 (Beater)

Mac Pro 2010 - High End specs and graphics, 64GB DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DevynB,

This sounds pretty terrible, but we have don't have any bugs filed along these lines. I have a couple of things I suspect may be going wrong.

Please also report your bugs here: Premiere Pro: Hot (1241 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, I've addressed this issue plenty of times since October on the forums, and have sorted through related concerns. I've said many times that this is a general stability issue, that happens on clean installs of the software on clean OSes. I've built a new PC to troubleshoot, I've tested on all my Macs each version update. This occurs when dragging and editing clips -- Premiere freezes up on the click, drag or drop: constantly. I create 10 versions a day from editing. It's extremely temperamental. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps you've suggested. I'm not sure what else to do, literally out of options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what do you recommend Kevin? Those suggestions do not fix this issue -- I know how to clear my cache and have done so forever. Precisely how long does it take for Premiere to get a corrupted crash? Two days? One hour? When you open a different project than the one you were editing? This is not the a solution for general instability; clearing caches, uninstalling and reinstalling software, or the long list of unofficial troubleshooting methods that we've all diligently performed.

There is demonstrably bad performance issues here that are unacknowledged. I can start posting screen captures to YouTube of ignored bugs that I know so well I can predict when and where they occur. Simply dragging and editing clips needs to function every time so the editor is not scared of making changes --  I find it reprehensible that this bug (which is really just some kind of glaring instability issue) is not on the to-do list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you go through the process of resetting Adobe Folder permissions along with all enclosed folders? This sounds like exactly that issue.

I don't have this issue at all on my Mac, which is nothing special.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this something that has to be done with Windows? My problem today is with the project I started on Windows in the latest version of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having this problem with fixing permissions and non-starting applications -- my problem is obviously much more difficult to diagnose because it seems inherently a general stability issue with all versions of CC 2018. If you take one glance down the Stability page on the User Voice forum you can chalk up most of these crashes I'm having with the crashes others are experiencing -- a myriad of issues that create a unreasonable amount of daily crashes that I believe is widespread but ignored. I mean it's in all of the forums and the behavior is consistent on literally all six Mac/PC computers I have.

All we want to do is get our work done. I cannot tell you how frustrated and angry this makes me that the response since Day 1 of posting and talking with Adobe support since the release of CC 2018 has always been 'What Problem?'. I really don't want to have to post another list of forums posts related to general stability when a simple search of 'CC 2018' and 'Crash' will do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

devynb73008579, this isn’t something we are aware of, do you have any crash logs you can share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These type of crashes don't trigger a crash log or bug report -- these are general "Not responding" type of freezes and closes. Although I have a slew of other crashes that might be related from my Mac workstation that I've saved to Dropbox and have been sharing on the Bug Report form when I file these bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which bug report form? We are using User Voice for that now. I showed a link earlier. Here you go: Premiere Pro: Hot (1270 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's a new place. You should be aware the old one is still up: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suspect, if they are using 2018 rather than 2017, then you're going to get a lot of intense testing in Russia over the next few weeks. Hope there's a good Adobe presence on site soaking up the logs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines