• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

J K L keys are assigned to shuttle, but used to be playback speed. How do I change it back?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually I can adjust the playback speed while editing by using the J K and L keys. J slows things down, L speeds things up.

But I must have reset something somewhere accidentally and now J shuttles the playback in reverse, and L shuttles it forward.

How do I change the keys back?? I know how to assign keyboard shortcuts, but I have no idea what the command for speeding up and slowing down playback is actually called within Premiere. I swear I've looked everywhere but I just can't find it... !

PS Apologies for the dumbest problem ever!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Shuttle operation does not appear to have changed - as you confirmed by selecting defaults for other options. I confirmed for CS6 by picking the CS6 defaults in the current version and opening CS6.

Note that the current version is close to what you want:

Spacebar starts at normal speed. L speeds up (as you want). If in faster than normal forward playback, the J key does what you want and continues forward play one step slower (normal speed if it was sped up one step). J reverses playback only if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

speeding up: tap the J or L key again (and again for more speed)

Slowing down: hold down shift while hitting J or L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Ann

This only half solves the issue I'm having though. The biggest annoyance is the J key making the playback go in reverse. I don't want the reverse playback at all. I want to set the J K L keys back to what they were before they changed (I still have no idea how or why they changed).

I used to be able to press the L key to speed up the playback, and the J key to slow it down while the playback continued uninterrupted.

For example: I could hit the space bar to play, then L once to speed playback up by one increment, L again to speed it up by one more increment, then I could hit J to slow it down one increment and so on. K would return playback to normal speed.

How I can I set the J K L keys back to this? The shuttle command as it is at the moment doesn't let me do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current setup looks the same as CS6...

Just edit the keyboard shortcuts to your preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click "opt+cmd+K" or "opt+ctrl+K" on a PC to bring up the Keyboard shortcuts settings. Once You're there, click on the keyboard shortcuts drop-down menu next to "save as" and select "Adobe Premiere Pro Default"

That should do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answers and input everyone

nbrumfield_18​ I've tried resetting the keyboard shortcuts to all of the default presets, but the J K L keys appear to be assigned to shuttle by default (which means that reverse playback thing is happening which I don't want...).

Did the latest Premiere update change the defaults?

I want to be able to slow playback down with J, have it play at normal speed with K, and speed up with L. Does anyone know the name of the command for doing that? Because I can't find what it's called. It's not the "shuttle" command. Unless the "shuttle" command now functions differently with the update?

I swear I'm going crazy trying to fix this lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shuttle operation does not appear to have changed - as you confirmed by selecting defaults for other options. I confirmed for CS6 by picking the CS6 defaults in the current version and opening CS6.

Note that the current version is close to what you want:

Spacebar starts at normal speed. L speeds up (as you want). If in faster than normal forward playback, the J key does what you want and continues forward play one step slower (normal speed if it was sped up one step). J reverses playback only if playback was at normal speed. Parallel functions for L if playback is backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines