• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 1:1 Previews management

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody from Italy, I am an old Lr user and I am trying to solve once for all one of my worst doubt, which is about 1:1 previews, since I could not be able to understand how their management works by myself.

I have a huge catalogue with about 25k images. Now, till today in the "Catalogue Settings" I have always used the "Automatically discard 1:1 previews" on "never", but my question is: if I delete one or more images, will the 1:1 previews be deleted together with the original files or not?

The second question is about the command "Discard 1:1 previews", because using it seems there is no space saving, even though I have selected all the images in the catalogue.

Thank you for your answer in advance!

Paolo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Yes, deleting the image also deletes all the previews for that image. Discarding 1:1 previews will make the ‘catalogname previews.lrdata‘ smaller, not the database file itself. It may not always be visible right away. MacOS and Windows often don’t show this immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, deleting the image also deletes all the previews for that image. Discarding 1:1 previews will make the ‘catalogname previews.lrdata‘ smaller, not the database file itself. It may not always be visible right away. MacOS and Windows often don’t show this immediately.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan, that's exactly what I meant! So now I am sure about that.

do you know why if I use the command "Discard 1:1 previews" the dimensions of the preview file don't decrease?

Thank you, Paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

paolo.bernardotti  wrote

Thanks Johan, that's exactly what I meant! So now I am sure about that.

do you know why if I use the command "Discard 1:1 previews" the dimensions of the preview file don't decrease?

Thank you, Paolo

It does decrease, but the Macintosh Finder / Windows Explorer might not show it right away. Previews.lrdata is not really a file. It’s a folder on Windows and a ‘package’ on MacOS (a folder that looks like a file). Because it contains a vast amount of small files, it may take a while before size changes are shown.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines