Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Open Project from a Networked computer

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2007 Sep 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We have just recently installed Robohelp V6 on a computer in the office and after making sure that RoboSource is connected and visible, I have come to my desktop machine and made sure that

1. I could connect to the Robohelp "Server"
2. that I could map to the drive that the project file resided
3. that I could ping the "server" computer

All appears to be fine, except that when I try to open the Project file from the "MAPPED" drive, I get the following error
msg:

"OPEN PROJECT WAS CANCELLED OR THE APPLICATION WAS UNABLE TO LOAD THE DATABASE FOR: T:\Content\Grail2Aug07Help.cpd"

It is the Project file grail2aug07help.xpj that I am trying to open.

The project WAS currently opened and in use my another person on the "server" computer, so I wonder if this is the reason for the message.??? If I cannot get the project opened. how do I then make sure that files that I want to alter are "Checked In/Out" by me and are also seen, by other users as being CHECKED OUT...??

PLEASE HELP..!!

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2007 Sep 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project should live on a local drive (e.g., the My Documents folder on your PC). Version control can live on a mapped (i.e., network) drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem, but I'm using RH 2015, which, I understand, is supposed to work OK on a network. Never had any problems with it in the past three years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, maybe not the EXACT same problem ... the point is that I've been creating projects with RH 2015 for the past three years, and today was trying to open a project that has been in place for maybe two years ... opening from a laptop in our meeting room by logging into my desk computer -- as I have often done in the past -- and got the "OPEN PROJECT WAS CANCELLED OR THE APPLICATION WAS UNABLE TO LOAD THE DATABASE FOR: <network file path>.cpd"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to note that while Adobe did implement some changes that made projects work "better" when on networked drives, the preference has never deviated from the recommendation that they live on local drives.

Some networks work better than others. Some projects work fine for years and suddenly and rather inexplicably begin to fail when on network drives. Your project sounds like one of these.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference here. Remote connecting into a PC and running RoboHelp on the remote PC is not the same as opening the PC on a laptop, running RoboHelp on that and opening a project on the network.

It's still a valid way of working but I don't think the problem is because of running a project on a network, unless of course the remote machine was looking at a project that was not local on that machine.

Back on the machine you were remoting into, have you been able to open the project?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I still can't open the project on the machine I normally use; other projects open just fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any version control at play? If you copy it all local, does it open or is the project borked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have something about that but I can't find it right now. Bear with me

and I'll do some digging but it will not be until tomorrow.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I only found out a few minutes ago: our RH is in "the cloud."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the installation or the projects? If it's the installation I'm amazed it works at all so let's assume you mean the projects are in the cloud.

If the setup is like Dropbox where the project is local and synced to the cloud, that's OK as I have worked that way. Also with a strict handover to someone in a different time zone (one person holds the baton as it were) more than one person can work on a project but not simultaneously. Is that the setup you are using, the project is local AND in the cloud. If it is only in the cloud, then I'm thinking it could be as Adobe state about working across a network. It all depends on the network. Maybe it has worked up to now.

Are the other projects also in the cloud?

I'll see if I can find something about the error message you got.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem has been solved; thanks to everyone for chiming in.

First, I was misinformed about the "cloud" business; RH is not, nor are any of the projects, there.

We had our SysAdmin re-start RH (he tells me it hadn't been re-started in a long time), which is on a virtual machine running Windows 8.1. So, when I say it's "on the network," I open RH from the virtual machine and compile the projects onto a network drive, where the output lives.

Back to normal.

Thanks again, everyone, for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp