• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

which processor?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm considering buying a new laptop that will be used for LR and PS (plus word-processing). Is it better to go for an 8th gen i5 Intel processor which offers lower clock speed (1.6GHz base clock speed, up to 3.4 GHz with Turbo Boost) but 4 cores, or a 7th gen i7 processor that is dual core but has much higher clock speed (2.7Ghz, up to 3.5 with Turbo Boost)? Otherwise the two laptops will be identical, i.e. low-powered chips (U), SSD and 8GB RAM. Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the temptation is to go for the fastest CPU, I would concentrate on RAM, the more you can throw at graphics programs the better. Much of the image processing/loading/effects is a stress on the RAM, when you run out of RAM then the hard drive(scratch disks) comes into play.

Depends also to what level of imaging you are doing, massive layered files will require more grunt, whilst simple colour and retouch work will not. Also the bigger the LR catalogue, the more RAM is required for previews etc.

If it was me I would go with the i7, SSD and 16gb RAM if you can stretch that far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi astrobutch0901, thank you for your swift response. The RAM on the laptop is user upgradable, so I could install an extra stick to bring it up to 16GB. The laptop will be used for light retouching/developing on LR at this stage. What I need to know is whether the lower base clock speed of the 8th gen i5 will substantially hamper the performance of LR/PS. Do these programmes benefit a lot from single-threaded processor performance? Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the opposite opinion. Once you get above 8GB of RAM, there is almost no effect on LR. You do want the fastest processor you can get. Almost all operations in LR depend on the CPU, the faster the CPU, the faster LR will go.

Also, if you have relatively new camera which takes large RAW images (let's say >24MP), this will also increase your need for CPU speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for responding to my question. I have to say I am a bit confused now. I intend to keep the new laptop for at least three years. I will use it for developing in LR and also for manipulating images in PS, for example stitching panoramas and working with multiple layers and layer masks. I have a 24MP camera right now but plan to upgrade to a 42MP camera next year. Which processor is more suitable for my needs?

Intel i5 8th gen (1.6Ghz base clock speed, up to 3.4Ghz with Turbo Boost, 4 physical cores)

Intel i7 7th gen (2.7Ghz base clock speed, up to 3.5 Ghz with Turbo Boost, 2 physical cores)

With either of these processors the price of the laptop will be about the same. Alternatively, I could shell out the extra cash to go for an

Intel i7 8th gen (1.8Ghz base clock speed, up to 4Ghz with Turbo Boost, 4 physical cores) provided I get a considerable improvement in performance. My impression from reading http://laptopmedia.com/comparisons/intel-core-i5-8250u-vs-core-i7-8550u-core-i5-vs-i7-a-never-ending... is that I won't, but you may disagree.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djinibee  wrote

Thank you both for responding to my question. I have to say I am a bit confused now. I intend to keep the new laptop for at least three years. I will use it for developing in LR and also for manipulating images in PS, for example stitching panoramas and working with multiple layers and layer masks. I have a 24MP camera right now but plan to upgrade to a 42MP camera next year. Which processor is more suitable for my needs?

42MP images require lots of CPU power. I'm now wondering if any of these laptops will be a good computer to run LR with 42MP images. What are the exact CPU make and models on each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i5-8250U vs. i7 7500U. The alternative, more expensive model is the i7-8550U.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am skeptical that any of these will provide good performance on 42MP photos. Bigger images need more powerful CPUs. You can compare CPUs at cpubenchmark.net, even among laptop CPUs these are not near the top of the list in speed PassMark CPU Benchmarks - New Laptop CPUs Performance

I don't really know how much of a boost you will get from overclocking, as I have no experience with doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Core performance is not usually a major requirement and the difference between the two specs is negligible. Photoshop and LR, to my knowledge will utilise core processing but its mainly the memory that is doing the hard graft. I run a MacBook Pro 2.8ghz Intel Core i7 with 16gb RAM and for most things in Photoshop CC 2018 I can do with ease and I have multiple LR Catalogues one with over 100,000 images in it.

The only thing I struggle with a bit is manipulating 3D OBJ files in the 3D environment. But again it depends on the complexity of the 3D files.

Sounds like for what you require at this stage, either processor will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats cool, dj_paige. I only speak from experience of having both, Photoshop does get quicker with more RAM. Its such a difficult question to answer really as my experiences will differ from yours as there are so many variables.

I shoot with 5DS and 5DmkIII so the RAW files are chunky. And realistically there is negligible difference between an i5 with 4 cores and an i7 with 2 cores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

astrobutch0901  wrote

Thats cool, dj_paige. I only speak from experience of having both, Photoshop does get quicker with more RAM. Its such a difficult question to answer really as my experiences will differ from yours as there are so many variables.

Yes, Photoshop will use more memory. LR above 8GB doesn't benefit much from the extra memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so a 8250u would be enough for editing 24mp pictures and some graphic design work? provide I maxed out the ram to 32gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RAM is irrelevant for Lightroom if you have above 12GB (unless you do panoramas or HDRs). An 8250u is rather slow by today's standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines