Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ICC Profile error

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I keep getting this error from inDesign - Version 4 ICC Profiles were converted to version 2 ICC Profiles during PDF Export. Just wondering will this effect my PDF?

Any help would be much appreciated!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Please try.

Standart profile PDF/X-4:2010    -  Compatibility minimum It must be PDF 1.4.

Ekran Resmi 2017-03-03 10.02.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, this conversion should not make any difference.

Very few existing ICC color profiles are anything but version 2 in format. What particular profile(s) were you using?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the attached colour profiles from my Photoshop files when saving and ran the export again and there were no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No profiles were attached to your last posting. (These forums only allow sysops to do attachments!)

You certainly don't want to lose the profiles' information. The conversion to version 2 is not a problem. But not having a profile at all could be a big problem! 

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't attach the profiles to my reply. What I meant to say was I unchecked the "Embed Colour Profiles" in Photoshop. I then placed these files into my inDesign file and exported the PDF. The error did not show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. But still, the point is that in these workflows, profiles are important. Simply throwing away the profile by not having Photoshop embed the profile (version 4 or otherwise) to get an error message-free PDF export from InDesign can mess up your output. Don't worry about the message! Your PDF file will be fine and possibly much better than without the converted profile!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. I'll replace my files and include the colour profile in Photoshop.
I am happy to use the PDF once I know the error will not create any problems down the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try.

Standart profile PDF/X-4:2010    -  Compatibility minimum It must be PDF 1.4.

Ekran Resmi 2017-03-03 10.02.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me right away. I didn't need to try anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this error too. No one here has explained how to fix it, just that it isnt dangerous to a pdf. How do I fix the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one here has explained how to fix it,

Are you exporting to PDF/X-1a? Try PDF/X-4 and if you need an all CMYK PDF convert to the destination. Does this work for you?

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 10.49.40 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got my first such error message. Document was Illustrator, not InDesign, but betting the issue is similar in both.

I only had 2 photos in file, so was easy to test them to alleviate the error code. Changed the images from RGB to CMYK, and it went away.

But honestly, this is something that just popped up, after working in this program for years. So I don't understand why it suddenly reared its head on this little file. Would love to know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can safely ignore the warning. What destination profile are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clearly not an error message so why do people keep acting as if it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's clearly stating "1 problem was found with a background task." which is clearly one more problem than people want in their files. thanks for the useless non-answer though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this and it does put a line through the photo image on out put. I took a picture using my iPhone, Placed that straight into Illustrator added some graphics than when saving to a high-quality print I got the error. Indeed there a line over the image. If I used the suggestion above but the same thing with no error. must be an issue with iPhone photos??  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A profile wouldn't do that, but setting the compatibility to Acrobat 4 might because you are flattening transparency. Also it might be the PDF reader. Are you viewing the PDF in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too, received this alert and it affected the print outcome.

When I printed the PDF, the blue background printed over head shot photos but displays normal in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds more like an overprint or spot color issue when printing to a composite color printer. Is the blue background a spot color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too, received this alert and it affected the print outcome.

When I printed the PDF, the blue background printed over head shot photos but displays normal in PDF.

It could be a coincidence? Are you sure there's not an overprint set somewhere? Can you share the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error and it is muting all my beautiful poppy reds into a flat rusty brown-red on export. Something is off here. Nobody has describe what's going on, just saying it's a non-issue. Why is it happening and how to fix it would be a correct answer IMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is 5 years old, so you might want to start a new question. Or at least show a screen capture showing the error message and the color shifts. Also, tell us what version of ID you are using, along with the color modes and assigned profiles of the affected page items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 1.17.56 PM.png

PDF left, InDesign right.. CC 2018, never messed with the profiles, but I swapped all my CMYKs to RGBs and tried an RGB blend space. I've only ever used the "High Quality Print" preset and for the printer will add marks and bleeds, so this is very strange to me. I tried as mentioned above with changing the "Standard" drop down to PDF X/4:2010, but still get the same alert and muted colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF left, InDesign right.. CC 2018, never messed with the profiles, but I swapped all my CMYKs to RGBs and tried an RGB blend space. I've only ever used the "High Quality Print" preset and for the printer will add marks and bleeds, so this is very strange to me.

The issue you are describing is not related to the version 4 ICC profile error described in the original post.

If you are using RGB document colors, you shouldn't use the [High Quality Print] preset. If you do, your RGB document swatches and colors will export with no color profile and the appearance will change depending on where the PDF is viewed.

Also, don't choose the High Quality print preset and change the Standard drop down. Instead choose the the PDF/X-4 preset from the Adobe PDF Preset dropdown.

When you are comparing the InDesign preview to the Acrobat preview you have to watch whether the apps are showing you a CMYK print simulation of your RGB colors. With InDesign, if you have Overprint Preview turned on, the preview of RGB colors is a CMYK soft proof simulation, even when the Transparency Blend space is set to RGB. In Acrobat Reader or AcrobatPro there is a preference for an overprint CMYK simulation under Preferences>Page Display>Use Overprint Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines