• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to get rid of blue corner.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to get rid of this blue corner, with the Clone Tool but it turns out sloppy.  What can I do?  It should have the fabric pattern there.

10-09 thru 05-10 241.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Hi

Like it or not, I don't think you are going to avoid a bit of cloning. Remember you can flip the clone stamp vertically/horizontally as you sample and stamp.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot make out that specific part of the pattern in the rest of the image so where should it come from?

If you don’t have other images available I suppose you could use the part to the left of the cat’s head (as a Smart object preferably) and use Adjustment Layers to amend its brightness and color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Like it or not, I don't think you are going to avoid a bit of cloning. Remember you can flip the clone stamp vertically/horizontally as you sample and stamp.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice retouching, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get over what you did...it looks great, what a beautiful job you did!

Can I have my retouched photo back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amy, show us what you have so far following Dave's directions with layers.

Notice the original layer is duplicated and there is a layer mask.

The next layer is the Shadow layer, which is selected so we can see it is set to Multiply with a drop in Opacity.

The cloning is on its own layer, and Dave gave a big hint about flipping it. I will tuck nicely under the top cat layer.

The original image is sitting at the bottom, untouched.

What part do you need help with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply. 

I'm not as proficient at understanding the directions as I thought I was and took all the information over to my local camera store.  They knew what David had done but being in the shop working they couldn't really devote too much time for me.  However, they're holding a 3-day Photoshop workshop in April and I will get the attention I need then.

I can't tell you how brilliantly I think David's fixing up of my shot looks;  but I have to learn how to do it myself.

Thank you for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Getting some training is a great way to go forward.

I didn't keep the demo I did in the earlier post (for forum demos I tend just to do them, post them, then delete). However if you are having a try yourself and get stuck just post on the forum and I or others here will try and help you.

I was not sure how experienced you were when I posted earlier , so I will try and expand on my comments.

When you use the clone stamp tool you normally sample an area then paint onto another area. The cloned painting is shifted and the same way round as the source image. However if you go to the Clone Source panel (open it using menu Window >Clone Source) you can click to reverse the cloned image horizontally or vertically as you paint. That is how I painted the right side with a mirror image of the left side.

As you can hopefully see in the earlier post, I tend to do this cloning onto an empty layer , that way it is easy to correct or go back simply by erasing the cloned image on the blank layer. 

At the top is a duplicate of the original image but with a mask.  When a mask is added to a layer, where the mask is white the layer pixels are visible, where the mask is black then the layer pixels are transparent and the layer(s) below show through. So in this case it shows the cat on the top layer but the cushion area is transparent allowing the cloned and original layers to show through.

Finally I brushed the shadows onto an empty layer with a soft brush. This adds a bit of realism. The layer is set to multiply which means that it will darken the image below it.

I hope that helps you to get started

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bother you 3 months later but I finally, after a few tries, got this far with my image.  I just need to learn how to put in the drop shadow.  I'm having difficulty with it.  Thank you.

10-09 thru 05-10 241 - Retouched.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nice job with the cloning

The shadow was on a layer below the cat. Rather than using a drop shadow from layer styles, in the demo I painted the shadow.
Add a new layer, directly under the masked cat, and set the blending mode of that layer to multiply (in the layers panel) . Take a soft round brush (0% hardness) and in the options bar set it to low opacity (10-15%). Now gently brush in some black. You will need a few strokes to build up a realistic shadow. The darkest shadow should be closest to the cat. Don't overdo it though and when done you can turn down the opacity of the shadow layer in the layers panel. In the earlier post I reduced it to 93% which to my eye just looked right for the shadows that I painted - but the value that looks right with your painted shadow might be different.

Please post back when you have done it - it's good to see a forum answer being followed up.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to add the shadow. I had saved the image as a psd and a jpeg

from a couple days ago when I was working on it. I could not get the

shadow to work, is it because the image was saved? I had a shadow layer on

the psd, which did not work and then I added one, like your directions and

that did not work. I would hate to start the whole image all over again.

I can follow your directions but it is just not working. Also, do you know

what I can do with that little bit of blue under my cat's arm near the far

right of the image; it won't clone or spot heal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPGs don't support layers. Are you trying it with the PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I was. When I was creating the image it was saved as a psd. Then I

re-saved it again as a jpeg. So I have both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As Jane-e says, jpegs don't save layers so don't save your edits as a jpeg. Keep jpeg for exporting a finished copy if you want to sent it on.

Your PSD file should contain the layers. Can you open the PSD and take a screenshot of the layers panel and image with the shadow layer selected in the layers panel. Hopefully we will be able to see what is happening and help you out

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just about finished it. I figured out the Shadow. It was done so

lightly at first until I started sliding the opacity slider back and forth,

then it showed up; so it was me and not your directions.

I did have to go back to the layer mask and feather the selection a bit

because it had looked too choppy and separated, like I had pasted the image

of the cat onto the background.

Then I just touched it up a little more with the clone stamp and added a

little contrast to deepen the colors a bit. I think it looks pretty good

although I would like to get rid of that very slight blue glow under his

left leg on the right.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Amy Bellezza <amybellezza@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That little bit of blue could be taken out by adjusting the mask on the cat.

If you click on a mask in the layers panel you can paint directly on it with white (to show what is on the associated layer ) or black (to hide the layer).

So you want to hide the blue. Get a small soft brush , click on the mask in the layers panel and paint on the blue area with black. Remember it is the mask that you are actually painting on, not the image - so the layer underneath will start to show. If you go too far switch to a white brush and restore the cat layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the original. The bottom image is what I came up with. This is

the best I could do, its still there a bit. I was thinking of turning the

photo into black & white anyway.

I hesitated to tell you but my cat's name is Euro. Euro "Steve"

Faithful-Friends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I don't know how well this will work, but there's a trick fore using Content Aware Fill in this situation, and that is to copy just the areas you want to be sourced from, to a new layer, like this

I can see I have missed a bit in the image above, but I have fixed it below.  So fingers crossed for a half decent result

Not too bad, but I used two goes with Content Aware Fill, removing some of the selection for the second pass.

When doing stuff like this, I like to copy the mail subject to a new layer, and move it to the top of the stack so that the fixes are overlapped underneath it.  This gives you other options like increasing the size of the cat or subject to increase its overlapping the fixed area.  I'd do a bit of work matching the tones as well, but You'll know how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines