• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Camera Raw File Issues - Help Please

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to the Sony A99ii camera.  I've been using the A77 and A100.  For some reason I'm unable to even preview the RAW files on my computer for this new camera and my Lightroom 5.4 is to old of a version to open it.  I tried to update it, because according to the Adobe Camera Support chat, version 2015.8  / 6.8 version has it.  I tried to upgrade my version to that but an error popped up saying there's an error with application manager.

Is there anyway to update my LR 5.4 version?  And are there any files that will let me preview my photos?  My currrent photos program lets me open files from file explorer and scroll through them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Lightroom 6 is a paid upgrade from Lightroom 5, and it's the only way you would be able to "update" your Lightroom in order to have support for your camera. Lightroom 6 .14 was the final update for Lightroom 6. There will be no further updates for Lightroom 6. But it is still available for purchase. Did you purchase Lightroom 6? If you did and are having difficulty installing it, please indicate such and there are individuals here who can walk you through the necessary steps to get it installed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 is a paid upgrade from Lightroom 5, and it's the only way you would be able to "update" your Lightroom in order to have support for your camera. Lightroom 6 .14 was the final update for Lightroom 6. There will be no further updates for Lightroom 6. But it is still available for purchase. Did you purchase Lightroom 6? If you did and are having difficulty installing it, please indicate such and there are individuals here who can walk you through the necessary steps to get it installed properly and updated to where it should function on your computer. Please indicate your operating system and some specifics about your computer such as the amount of RAM, etc.

If you want to continue using your Lightroom 5, the only alternative would be to download the free DNG converter from Adobe. Assuming that your operating system is current enough it would be best to download version 10.3. Then you would be able to convert your raw images to DNG format and then those DNG files could be opened in your older Lightroom 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the Lightroom 6 free trial.  I went to open and it's wanting to convert my current catalog to work with the new version.  Will this affect my lightroom 5.4 version?  I don't want to loose it in case I don't like the 6?  I'm also looking at another program someone told me about for sony users so I'd like to try the trial versions first to see which way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The conversion process will create a new copy of your catalog that conforms to the new updated format for Lightroom 6. Your previous catalog will remain intact and usable by your previous version of Lightroom. The updated catalog will have the same name, except it will have a -2 appended to its name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still haven't even tried to use my trial of LR 6.  I started to but it was taking forever to copy my LR 5 catalog (I have 1000's of photos on there).  Is there a way to just create a new catalog?  I don't want it doubling up space on my computer and having 2 copies of my catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's easy to create a new catalog. When the prompt comes up to update your catalog, there's an option to create a new catalog. You can choose that option. Or, if Lightroom is open and you are on a Mac you would go to the menu, Lightroom->New Catalog and follow the prompts. In Windows it would be File->new catalog and follow the prompts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be such a pain.  It only gave me the option of upgrade or choose a different catalog (I have windows 8).  I choose a different catalog and then select catalog box comes up.  At the bottom I selected Create New catalog.  A Create folder box comes up. I created a new folder called Lightroom6 but when I select the folder and hit create it doesn't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You choose the folder, but at the bottom of that dialog box there should be a place for you to type in the name for the new catalog. If you don't give the catalog a name then Lightroom won't create it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez, it's one problem after another.  I thought I had the 30 day trial version to see if I want to do this, or the monthly plan, but it won't even let me see the develop module.  It says I have to purchase it first???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of some time in 2016, CC trials are 7 days, not 30.  Your first message was 7 days ago, so if you installed LR back then and logged in, the clock started, then.

Update on Creative Cloud Trials | Adobe Customer Care Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely. I thought I seen 30 days on it but I guess I'm wrong.  I just opened it today for the first time.  I don't even have my new camera back since I had to send it back for a replacement. They should base it on when you actually open it and sign in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was 30 days some time ago. So if you read old messages...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally purchased Lightroom 6.  I noticed the touch screen does not work.  With 5 I used to be able to edit with my stylious or finger.  I can't find a setting that fixes this.  I did see an old chat in community that several were complaining about this.  Has this been resolved?  It makes me want a refund because I edit so much with my screen more than I do my mouse since I'm using a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing Lightroom 6 does not have any effect on Lightroom 5.4 (the program itself) and it does not affect your Lightroom 5.4 catalog.

if you don't want to keep Lightroom 6, you can still use your Lightroom 5.4 program and your Lightroom 5.4 catalog (but not your Lightroom 6 catalog)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can purchase the single app license upgrade to Lightroom 6 at Download and install Lightroom 6 (Single App license)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can convert the Sony RAW files to DNG files with the FREE Adobe DNG converter program.

Once that is done you can import the DNG files into your version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG Converter at first would not work yesterday, but this morning I got it to work.  It seems that it distorts the photo a little.  Not near as sharp as opening a raw file in Lightroom with my A77 camera.  Seems to have added some noise. Anyone else have that problem with DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting to DNG should not "add" any distortion or change anything. It is the same camera data but packaged in a different file container. Perhaps you should look at the camera settings (ISO, etc.) to see if there is something that can be corrected in that regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG should not change a single pixel. Noise comes from your camera. Sharpness comes from your camera focus and other factors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first file I converted to one of the older versions listed and it almost made the photo like a bad painting. Then I tried again and selected a newer version from the list. And that looked a lot better but still a little distorted. It's not my camera settings I had it on iso 100. When I zoom in on the raw preview file or even the jpeg there is zero noise. But when I zoom in on the converted dng file there is noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems strange because all the conversion does is take the raw image data and put it in a new container. I have compared DNG files against my original NEF files and have not been able to see any difference. Any chance there was a preset applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Zoom in on the raw preview" means what?  Do you mean on the Import grid, which will be the camera-embedded JPG preview, the same as a camera-shot JPG, or do you mean in LR after you've imported? 

DNGs from raws and the original raw files after importing into LR and have Adobe rendering done, should have a similar amount of noise, perhaps identical.

The previews that come from the camera will have camera processing applied to them, and will likely show less noise.

You can change the Adobe settings to have more noise reduction and less sharpening at the cost of some image detail.

Adobe rendering and camera rendering won't be the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (94).png

Screenshot (95).png

I had already deleted those files so I converted it again and it wasn't as bad but there's a difference.  The top photo, on the DNG converter I selected preference camera raw 5.4 or better.  On the bottom image I converted to DNG selecting camera raw 7.1 or larger.  On this photo I'm zoomed in 4:1 so it's pretty close.  They are processed same.  These are screen shots as you can see so not sure if you can see the difference.  There's a little more pixelling around the edges where it goes from bright to dark.  Just not the difference I noticed in the first conversion so there must have been a problem during the conversion.

Now I have a new issue with the camera and having to send in for replacement so I've downloaded LR 6 free trial and now I don't get to experiment with it for my new camera which is the only reason I wanted to try it.  I don't know how long it's going to take to get the replacement back so I'm losing days on my free trial.  Is there anyway to pause it or cancel it and restart when I get it back?

Also, I've noticed in File Explorer I can't see the previews of the DNG files.  I had to download something from sony so I could see the raw files preview  Is there a program for the DNG files so you can see them in explorer and open from explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you download and install the Lightroom 6 .14 update you would be able to work with the files from your new camera. As far as the difference in the DNG files are concerned, I think you are wanting to see serious differences. If there really is a difference, don't worry about it. Install the update and see what you can do with Lightroom to make the images what you want them to be. If you can install the update and process the original raw files, don't worry about converting the DNG. Or, convert to DNG as well and compare the two ended objectively decide if there really is enough to worry about. Frankly, I don't believe there is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines