Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color changes

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

need help regarding ps cc and lightroom classic cc

i use mostly lightroom cc for tones and after export not edit in ps cc..after export from lightroom cc then i open that image in ps cc for add text after adding text.. that image when i send it to smartphone the color of that images changes(PS CC ) but when i send lightroom cc image  to smartphone thats looks correct..

Need Help

[Moved from the Community Help Application forum (which was for help with an application that created documentation) into a Lightroom Classic help forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

raghavg6463409  wrote

when i send it to smartphone the color of that images changes (PS CC ) but when i send lightroom cc image  to smartphone that looks correct.

The most likely cause is that you are opening and saving the file in PS with a color profile other than sRGB. From inside PS use Edit> Convert to Profile and select RGB Profile> sRGB. Save As JPEG and try on the phone again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raghavg6463409  wrote

when i send it to smartphone the color of that images changes (PS CC ) but when i send lightroom cc image  to smartphone that looks correct.

The most likely cause is that you are opening and saving the file in PS with a color profile other than sRGB. From inside PS use Edit> Convert to Profile and select RGB Profile> sRGB. Save As JPEG and try on the phone again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally my issue solved but i think problem in my ps and lr cc setting also can u please confirm my setting belowlr cc.pngps cc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have to do everytime this setting or one time From inside PS use Edit> Convert to Profile and select RGB Profile> sRGB. Save As JPEG @Todd Shaner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best option is to use LR's Export module to create the JPEGs using the PS edited PSD files. You can use LR 'Edit in PS' (CTRL+E keys) to create a PSD file and have it open in PS. Make your edits in PS and 'Save' (CTRL+S keys ) the PSD file, which will then appear inside LR. Next use the Export module to create the JPEG file copy. I suggest changing your LR External Editing Preferences to Bit Depth16bits/component for best results when editing in PS.

If you have no need to save the PSD file another option is to change your LR External Editing Preferences as shown below. In LR External Editing Preferences click on the 'Choose' button and locate the PS CC2017 'Photoshop.exe' file. You will see the below message and need to click on 'Use Anyway.' When you need to create the JPEGs with PS text edits use CTRL/CMD + E keys, which will launch Edit in PS using the below 'Additional External Editor settings. You can then Save As JPEG in PS with no need to 'Convert to Profile since it is already sRGB.

BTW- Is there a reason why you haven't updated to PS CC 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i m confused only with lr and ps cc color space is mine are correct or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to output sRGB copies for any online/web use. For that purpose, application color settings don't matter.

• From Lightroom, use the Export function, set to sRGB. This is a permanent setting until you change it.
  • From Photoshop, use the Export or Save For Web function. Check the "Convert to sRGB" box. This is also permanent.

Your working master files are a different matter, here you can use Adobe RGB if you so desire, and set your color settings accordingly. You should also use 16 bit color depth generally. This will not apply to your exported files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya before its 16 bit in lr but that time when i open 16 bit in ps its shows popup for 8 bit thats why i just change to 8 bit in both i m just confused only with color space of both ps and lr and file format of lr thats all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raghavg6463409  wrote

ya before its 16 bit in lr but that time when i open 16 bit in ps its shows popup for 8 bit thats why i just change to 8 bit

You may be trying to merge the 16 bit depth image into an 8 bit depth PS document. To prevent this change both the 'Color Mode' and bit depth in the 'New Document' panel to match the settings of the image you are trying to merge. As already explained it's best to use 16 bit depth except when the original files are 8 bit depth such as JPEG files.

raghavg6463409  wrote

i m just confused only with color space of both ps and lr and file format of lr thats all

In general ProPhoto RGB is the best color profile to use in both LR's External Editing Preferences and PS's Color Settings. It has a wider color gamut than Adobe RGB and is the color working space used in LR. One exception would be if you only use PS to create and edit images for the Web and no other usage such as making prints. In this case it makes sense to set LR's External Editing Preferences and PS's Color Settings to sRGB color profile. You should also select sRGB in LR's Export module Color Space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for all help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, something is causing a reply on a different post to appear here. If it shows again please ignore as it's not relevant to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a reply to a different problem - but now that it's here, I'd like to tie some general comments to it.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Todd+Shaner  wrote

ProPhoto RGB is (...)  the color working space used in LR.

Well...yes and no. It has ProPhoto primaries, but a different tone response curve. As such, it is totally unrelated to the ProPhoto color space used in Photoshop.

Coupled with the default settings in "Edit in Photoshop", which is the 1.8 ProPhoto standard color space, this often leaves people with the impression that they "must" use ProPhoto for everything coming out of Lightroom. This is unfortunate on many levels. ProPhoto can be very problematic in the hands of inexperienced users.

This is no doubt also responsible for the widespread myth that color settings in Lightroom and Photoshop have to "match" - which, as mentioned, they never will anyway. Those are two different ProPhotos. There's no reason at all they should match.

ProPhoto causes no end of problems for beginners. They have no idea what the implications are, and why should they? I think the Lightroom default should be changed to sRGB, as it is in ACR. This will work safely for beginners - those who need ProPhoto will know how to get it anyway. They aren't who the defaults should be set for.

ProPhoto has its advantages if you know how to properly use it, and sometimes it's the right choice. But at the same time it has disadvantages - the compressed shadows for one thing, which makes subtle shadow adjustments difficult. The large gamut has a price. ProPhoto is not always the "best" color space to use and I feel it's a bit overrated. If you don't specifically need it, there's no particular reason to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

It may be a reply to a different problem - but now that it's here, I'd like to tie some general comments to it.

ProPhoto causes no end of problems for beginners. They have no idea what the implications are, and why should they? I think the Lightroom default should be changed to sRGB, as it is in ACR. This will work safely for beginners - those who need ProPhoto will know how to get it anyway. They aren't who the defaults should be set for.

Dag, what you are saying is pretty much what I suggested if the OP is only processing images in PS for Web use:

"One exception would be if you only use PS to create and edit images for the Web and no other usage such as making prints. In this case it makes sense to set LR's External Editing Preferences and PS's Color Settings to sRGB color profile. You should also select sRGB in LR's Export module Color Space."

I do know about LR's ProPhoto RGB 1.8 color space (MellisaRGB). IMHO when editing an image file in PS for print output sRGB is not the best choice. Granted most people use standard displays that have gamut limited to sRGB. They won't see any difference between sRGB, Adobe RGB, or even ProPhoto RGB working color space settings. However they will see a difference in the prints when using a wide gamut inkjet printer. That was my only point for suggesting ProPhoto RGB working color space since some wide gamut inkjet printers even have gamut that falls outside Adobe RGB color space.

https://creativepro.com/how-do-p3-displays-affect-your-workflow/

A typical wide gamut printer with gamut that falls outside of Adobe RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point wasn't that sRGB is any "better", it obviously isn't - my point was that it's safer for beginners. That's why I think it should be the default out-of-the-box setting in Lightroom. Not something you actively need to set, it should already be there.

Yes, the printer profiles slightly exceeding Adobe RGB is a common argument for using ProPhoto. But honestly, have you ever looked at a print and thought, "this would have been a great print if only the saturation was a little higher"? I haven't. Good color is about getting colors to work together, not about max saturation.

Here's the problem with ProPhoto. This is the histogram of a neutral, natively dark image, with a pronounced cyan color cast in the shadows. This is Adobe RGB. The problem is easily identified and corrected:

histo_argb.png

And here's the same image converted to ProPhoto. Not so easy to tell what causes the unpleasant color cast here:

histo_pp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Here's the problem with ProPhoto. This is the histogram of a neutral, natively dark image, with a pronounced cyan color cast in the shadows. This is Adobe RGB. The problem is easily identified and corrected:

histo_argb.png

And here's the same image converted to ProPhoto. Not so easy to tell what causes the unpleasant color cast here:

histo_pp.png

I don't doubt what you are saying, but I also don't understand the "issue" you outline above. This histogram is from a very under-exposed image, which needs toning edits (+Exposure, etc.) applied before trying to do any color correction. I think we're going a little off topic, but the OP did ask what's the best PS color workspace to use. Can you provide an image file that we can use on our own systems with instructions to demonstrate the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not underexposed, it's perfectly exposed It's an Ophrys orchid growing in a forest in Southern Norway. I picked this image for demonstration, as it is natively very dark. ProPhoto is not a good choice for images of this type:

flueblomst-1_X.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, BTW - Melissa RGB is only used in the histogram and sliders. It has ProPhoto primaries, but sRGB tone response curve.

The internal working space in Lightroom has no name. It has ProPhoto primaries but a linear (1.0) tone response curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines