• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horribly slow performance

Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm not sure if this is normal or if maybe something is wrong with my system. But LR seems to be horribly slow even when doing the most basic of tasks. If i want to move a bunch of raw files from one folder to another and I do that using windows explorer, it pretty much happens instantly. Doing the same task in lightroom can be orders of magnitude slower if it's a large batch of files. It's actually quicker for me to move the files outside of LR and then just tell it where to find the files that i moved. Which is a pretty stupid workflow IMHO.

And if i do any sort of batch process in LR, LR is pretty much useless for any other task until that process is done. Even just moving the mouse around the screen is a chore when LR is chugging away on something. For example, after i finish editing an album of photos I'll usually export them. I would like to be able to move onto the next batch of photos while the export is happening, but that's impossible because LR is unusable while it's processing the export.

I think my PC specs are pretty decent:

Intel i7-6700k
gigabyte z170xp-sli mobo
32gb ram (ddr4 3000)
gtx 980
main boot drive samsung ssd 960 m.2  evo 1tb

Is this how LR behaves for everyone or is there something wrong with my system?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact version (numbers, not latest or alike) of LR you are working with and your OS?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/F.+McLion  wrote

What is the exact version (numbers, not latest or alike) of LR you are working with and your OS?

Windows 10

LR 7.3.1 Camera raw 10.3

PS 19.1.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first that you can try is to deactivate the GPU support. Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

This does helps on several machines.

Additional informations about performance you can find here:

Optimize Lightroom performance

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/performance/  (a collection of several documents)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Axel+Matt  wrote

The first that you can try is to deactivate the GPU support. Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

This does helps on several machines.

Additional informations about performance you can find here:

Optimize Lightroom performance

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/performance/  (a collection of several documents)

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-whats-slow/

already disabled the GPU and i've done most of the main tweaks in the adobe optimize LR performance link you provided. I will however look through the other two links you gave to see if there's anything else i can do. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not this way for everyone. How big are your original photos, in megapixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

It's not this way for everyone. How big are your original photos, in megapixels?

The raw files are about 30mb each. However, i usually wind up converting them to TIF's and when i do that, the TIF's are about 150mb each. And it's usually the TIF's that i do the editing on and later export to JPGs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did ask for the size in megapixels, not megabytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to say this, but Lightroom is either slow or it isn't. You're going to have to figure out why it's slow on your computer. I'm using an old HP Pavilion computer that has been "upgraded" from Windows 7, and is now running Windows 10. It will only accept 8 GB RAM. The USB3 ports have died on it. It has no graphics card, just onboard graphics, so the slideshow module will work. But, other than that, Lightroom has no performance issues whatsoever. I can create panorama images from 24 24 MP raw images. Something that big takes about 6 min. to stitch, but it works. "Normal" editing and moving from image to image is virtually instantaneous. I don't know why because it's an old, nearly dead, computer. Go figure, I can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines