• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

10 bit graphics in Lightroom Classic 6 - what's needed

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a performance question, I just need to get the a 10-bit graphic signal from my computer to the display

My hardvare is a Win10 64-bit pc with Intel HD Grapics 4600 and an Eizo CG2730 display. The display shows 99% of RGB and supports 10-bit graphics, therefore i would like the pc to support that. I have worked with 3000 30MB RAW pictures in Lightroom Classic 6 without any big  performance issues, ok the export takes some time but that's s not a big problem for me. I read that a 10-bit signal needs a DP cable, is that true.

How do I solve this in the best way ....?.  A new graphic card for $150 like Invidia Quadro P400 or a new cpu or ....?

I have found a lot of information about 10-bit graphics but everywhere the issues are performance or compability problems.

I would be very glad i someone could guide me in through this issue..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

There is no support for 10 bit graphics in Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no support for 10 bit graphics in Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, wrong of me i'm using Lightroo Classic v7.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no support for 10 bit graphics in ANY version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have that monitor myself. You need a Quadro card, which will enable 10 bit display in Photoshop. Lightroom doesn't support it.

And quite frankly it's not needed in Lightroom and you wouldn't ever see any difference. With a photograph, there is always just enough noise to break up any banding. You never see banding in a photograph, and you certainly won't with an Eizo CG2730.

10 bit display is more of a point in Photoshop, if you work with synthetic gradients.

Anyway, it's a bit erratic and doesn't necessarily work with all driver versions. I don't really keep track, just check with a test gradient from time to time, out of curiosity. It seems to not work with the current Quadro driver, after having worked reliably with the previous version. Not that I worry about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

My internal Intel 4600 grafic does not support the display 2560x1440 resolution. I have now an old AMD Radeon 3850 graphics card temporarily but it has no official Windows 10 support so I have to buy a card. I work today 90% in Lightroom so the card don't have to bee the most anvanced one.

I'm interested in a not to expensive card who are working with Windows 10 and (maybee) 10-bit support if I start working more in Photoshop. Any suggestions what card i should buy to avoid trouble ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A P400 or P600 should be fine. I run the Eizo off a P600 myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

10 bit display is more of a point in Photoshop, if you work with synthetic gradients.

Anyway, it's a bit erratic and doesn't necessarily work with all driver versions. I don't really keep track, just check with a test gradient from time to time, out of curiosity. It seems to not work with the current Quadro driver, after having worked reliably with the previous version. Not that I worry about it.

My experience exactly. I finally gave up trying to maintain a working 10 bit/color display path for PS. PS, Windows, and graphics driver updates frequently break 10 bit/color display support. However, the Nvida P600 card looks like a good value and the Quadro drivers are more stable and less prone to compatibility issues than the less-expensive GeForce card drivers. So that's a plus by itself!

10 bit/color does require a Displayport cable connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely, the P600 is an excellent choice, very good value for the money. Aside from the 10 bit issue the Quadro drivers seem rock solid. These cards and drivers are made for graphics, CAD and 3D, not the latest games.

Of course it's impossible to tell exactly what it is that breaks 10 bit support - driver, OS or Photoshop. Why a 10 bit/channel path is so seemingly hard to maintain - when we routinely have 16 bits everywhere else - is a bit of a mystery. The logical explanation is that they're not really trying, because there's very little demand for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines