• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC freezes upon removal of XQD Card from card reader

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm having a strange problem with Lightroom Classic CC v7.3.1 (Camera Raw 10.3) using a process that I've followed for several years now with no issues in prior versions of Lightroom.  The fact pattern is as follows:

I launch lightroom, wait for it to fully open, and begin importing photos from my Nikon D500 (Sony XQD card) via Lexar card reader. 

I have my version of Lightroom set up to apply a develop preset, add a copytright to metadata and render 1:1 previews post import.

Once the photos have been imported from the card, I pull the card from the card reader

One I pull the card from the reader, lightroom freezes and does not recover until I manually open task manager, end the process and relaunch lightroom

Variations:

I've attempted to do this with the Video card GPU enabled, and disabled with no difference in outcome

I've attempted to do this rendering standard previews, embedded previews and no previews with no difference in outcome

I've attempted to let all the previews be fully rendered before pulling the card from the reader with no difference in outcome

This only occurs with my D500/XQD card.  When I follow the same process using one of my other cameras (D810, D700, D300 using CF card) the problem does not occur

Other pertinent facts:

Card is formatted in camera after each download

System is Win 10, Intel Core I-7 3400

16GB DDR4 RAM

All drivers are current

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

If so, is Adobe aware of the problem?

Is there a fix or workaround (my preference would be a fix as this is a recent issue that began after the release of v7.3.1)

Thank you in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Just a quick note (since Ian mentioned the engineering team was working on a fix) - it appears to me that the Lightroom CC Classic update of ~ June 19th appears to have addressed this as one of their bug fixes.  I updated to the newest version and the original problem of am now able to remove the XQD card after download completes without the program freezing.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the "Eject after import" box checked in the import dialog?

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried with and without the eject after import box checked and it makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I thought it was the DNG conversion, so stopped that, but didn't help. Importing from SD card from D7100 no issues. Importing from XQD D500 and it hangs. Restarting is fine and the imports will be in the catalog, then I can convert to DNG etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you go to the operating system, pick the card, right click and "eject"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this, and if I do this after the import but while Lightroom is still open, LR still freezes.  Sorry, but thanks for the suggestion anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input.  Sorry to hear that you are also experiencing the same issue, but good to know that it's happening to more than one person. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue with the 'Devices' path in import window that engineering team are working to fix. The issue manifests itself in multiple ways, but most common seems to crashing and or freezing on card ejection. The work around, albeit without ability to auto eject, is to import via the 'Files' path in import window (see below screenshot). Can you try this and report whether it helps or not.

import-files.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I followed your suggestion exactly.  What I did was to plug the XQD card into my card reader, create a new folder on my hard drive where I keep my photos, then copy the files form the XQD card to the folder on my hard drive.

Once done, I opened Lightroom, navigated to the parent folder in the library module, then clicked 'synchronize folders".  Lightroom discovered the new folder and opened the import dialog box and I was able to import the photo (.NEF) files into Lightroom that way.

Was that the method you were suggesting I try or, if not, please provide some additional detail.

Thank you for suggesting this test and glad to hear that engineering is working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a quick note (since Ian mentioned the engineering team was working on a fix) - it appears to me that the Lightroom CC Classic update of ~ June 19th appears to have addressed this as one of their bug fixes.  I updated to the newest version and the original problem of am now able to remove the XQD card after download completes without the program freezing.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other solution that works for me is to uncheck the "eject after download" option, and then wait until AFTER I close Lightroom before I manually eject the card and remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thought.  I've found that regardless of whether 'eject after import' is checked or not, if I close Lightroom after importing the files but prior to removing the card from the card reader, all appears to be well when I restart lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines