• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robodog returns, at golf course, and is stuck behind giant green frog

Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At 67 I decided to say hello and (since I am playing golf and sliced into another county behind giant green frog on miniature golf course) decided to take a moment to say hello. After all, it will take me all day to get back to the fairway I left, and might as well take it easy. I miss a lot of people who helped me a lot over the past years to use stuff like cs6 suite. Dreamweaver I had before Abode bought it. I would never go to a subscription service, so that was the end of that. Can you imagine doing pro work and waiting for a validation on location to work with a client paying real money to get stuff done immediately, with hundreds of people on the clock ? I doubt it.

I'm amazed Adobe has survived as long as it has.

This forum used to show who posted last (so you could follow conversations quickly) but that changed too. Now you only see who posted the original mssg. A lot of people left the forums because of that little screw up.

I recall watching an America's Cup race here on this forum, and Bill Hunt was watching the live race on cable and telling everyone what was going on, minute by minute..and it was great fun. Was like a text chat board with about 12 people involved... each declaring what they thought the strategy and focus of the contestants should be ( was in San Francisco bay or something ). A lot of older members would recall who was around back then.

Everyone should have the same fun in my opinion. Not just to socialize but to share things they are working on. Videos, photos, audio, whatever. Illustration, animation, you name it.

The movie industry (media in general, meaning majors, broadcast TV,  and cable, and streaming ) is changing fast. It's possible to do things on desktops and even laptops that you couldn't dream of doing 20 years ago. How cool is that ?

I met some nice people here years ago. One guy said he was a producer director and did weddings upstate NY. Another guy bought a camera and claimed he was shooting video when he was doing motion position control over stitched photos in San Francisco area, while another guy claimed to be a famous food shooter in New Zealand, while asking what to do to save his business ( since everyone was buying DSLR's and getting into his pie ).  One guy was an airline pilot and shot home movies in free time but knew absolutely EVERYTHING about he tech side of making good quality compressed video. Some other guy wrote books for Adobe about how to do stuff but never got residuals and had to get a real job somewhere else. Some girl in the Netherlands became Queen of all things technical re: timelines and exports, but due to language difficulty pretty much insulted everyone with short to the point no nonsense messages ( like God talking to you).

During this time the mac vs. PC fight was an undercurrent ( to this day I bet there are some who still blame QT for their screwed up color ).

You probably don't know this unless you are around 67 years old like me, and used to hang out around here. It evolved, going from 32 bit to 64, and everyone helped one another despite all the crazy attitudes and personal positions re: opinions etc.

I personally deeply regret not being more patient and mature with the way I acted during those years here. I always thanked and acknowledged the help I got, but I often went a little bonkers when real stupid stuff was going on ( which I now realize wasn't stupid but just human ).

A pet peeve was hearing, " when you put a hard light closer to an object it becomes a soft light, " drove me nuts. Now I understand that man is shooting still images of zoo animals and he is fortunate to have the zoo use his images for promotions. I wish I could do that same.

God bless you all, and I really mean it.

: )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely note. FWIW and to add a bit of clarity to how the subscription model works... the software is still on your local drive as are your working files. You only need to log in once every couple of months to check for updates and to keep your subscription active. Most clients today are also utilizing subscription models... anyone with say Microsoft for example. It's great to show up at a client's office and be able to access your files anywhere - anytime and continue where you left off.

Integrating the cloud for collaboration across town or the globe saves valuable time with clients and other creatives. Technology is changing at a rapid pace and there is a pay to play reality if one wants to earn a living in the creative field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it you are trolling this forum?  You are certainly making some strange assertions.

There are now more than 10 million Creative Cloud subscribers, and good proportion of them will be producing client work.  In fact, I doubt that many professional content creators will still be using pre-CC versions of Adobe products.  With video, for instance, you need to update to have the current CODECs.

rodneyb56060189  wrote

A pet peeve was hearing, " when you put a hard light closer to an object it becomes a soft light, " drove me nuts.

That is a mater of interpretation and semantics.  Light, in itself is neither hard or soft, but 'shadow edge transfer' is a product of light source size and distance, as well as the angle of the surface being lit.  The sun is essentially a point light source, despite being >100 times the diameter of our planet.  A speedlite six inches from a tiny lit subject, is going to produce a similar shadow edge transfer to a large soft box placed six feet from a much larger lit subject.

I am not going to bother illustrating the soft-box / larger subject scenario because the speedlite illustration below, makes the point by itself.  It's interesting that a spherical subject would have a smaller (harder) shadow edge transfer relative to the height of the tube compared to the width.  Bret Lucas is probably the best studio photographer in NZ, and he once told me a story about spotting a similar situation in his home's hallway.  It worried him — he obsesses about stuff like this — until he realised it was because he had a strip light (Neon tube) in the hallway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap, thanks. That is a very good and concise argument in favor of the subscription model of software as a 'service'. I think for most people (in broad market share terms) it is perfect. I personally don't have internet connected to my editing computer (desktop type computer though a little bigger than typical desktop ), but that is not just a software issue, but a security in general issue and so on.

I did have to have internet to bring everything up to date and get everything set up right, but after that I just pulled the plug.

Your mssg is the most to the point argument in favor of using the subscription, so thanks.

No, Trevor, I am not trolling, I don't think, which I assume is a bad thing, cause I frankly don't really know what that word means. I've heard people use it for bad people but am too old to understand what it really means. It would be like me saying you are groovy but you have no clue what it means cause you weren't born in 1950.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony awards on CBS. Is fun ! People who love telling stories and expressing themselves or helping others do the same will love it.

Set design is cool too ! Lots to watch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[removed]

trailer is cool. from pilot already shot. sets being built now in navy yard (steiner studios), shooting starts couple weeks, airs in fall I think on Sunday night.

looks pretty ( lighting and so on ). I hope it does well with audience (ratings).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rodneyb56060189  wrote

cmgap, thanks. That is a very good and concise argument in favor of the subscription model of software as a 'service'.

software as a service is a different thing, in my eyes, as subscription.

the subscription model is very successfull for the time being and has a lot of advantages. What people forget is that there are additional services with the subscription like cloud space.

The disadvantage is that you do not own the software. Did you ever rented films on video? It’s the same. Software as a service is like going to the film theater.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hmmm. good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines