• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Layout of a Glossary File (.GLO)

Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a new RH user, I have yet to find a definitive answer about how a RH glossary file (a .GLO file type) is defined. The RH help file talks all about importing them into your projects, but nowhere does it mention what the file looks like inside. Presumably, it has a glossary term and its definition as its components, but are they comma separated or what in their layout?

Can anyone provide this info?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Specifically:

<glossentry>
<glossterm>Term</glossterm>
<glossdef>Definition.</glossdef>
</glossentry>

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

These are simple text files. You may open and view them using Windows Notepad.

Here is one of mine:
NAME=BC
BC represents BigCo, our company name

As you can see, they follow the format of NAME=BC (BC is the glossary term you define)
Glossary description here (the simple description follows the term)

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're talking about RH8, where the contents of the file are set up in XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically:

<glossentry>
<glossterm>Term</glossterm>
<glossdef>Definition.</glossdef>
</glossentry>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben

Hmmm, thanks for posting that. I was unaware it had changed!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aren't all the project files in XML with RH8? I can't look without some major destruction as my laptop (with RH8 installed) is locked in my desk drawer and I left the key at home this morning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all - that is exactly what I was looking for! I dug around within an inherited project that was created under RH7 and it indeed has the NAME= layout as per Rick. Once that same project is converted to RH8, it changes to the XML tag layout as per Ben.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to build a system that will take my single-source FM glossary document (that is all laid out in pretty tables) and pull out the glossterm & glossdef bits of content! But that's another post, in another forum, for another time 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, did you ever get your Fm glossary to process into Rh?

I have the Glossary markers processing into the GLO, but not the GlossaryTerm markers (which is helpful when navigating said glossary )

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer in a different thread...

The Glossary terms are processed into the Rh glossary file. Insert a Glossary marker (containing the glossary term) into a paragraph containing only the glossary term definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a trick to editing the glo file? I tried using Notepad to edit the existing file (using the structure showed here), but when I reopen Robohelp (2015), no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notepad should be fine - it's just a text XML file. Where are you expecting to see changes in RH? In the project itself or in the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. That's what I thought. I am closing my project, using Notepad to edit the glo file. When I save and reopen the project, I don't see any of my changes in the glossary within RoboHelp. User error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the issue - special characters! Apparently the glo file I am creating doesn't like them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that you were inserting characters resulted in incorrect HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My original file had Spanish characters in it. When I copy/paste into the glo file, nothing displayed. Once I replaced them, victory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp