• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to do any manual work on When Plugin is run?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Friends,

I need to develop new plugin. This plugin have to take some time to complete the process .

So, Is it possible to do any other manual process on when the plugin processing time.

I need your help to know about this process please replay your suggestion about this process.

I am waiting for your replay.

WIth regards,

Vicky.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vicky,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it. Yes, you'll still be able to use Illustrator while a plugin is in development. It's possible that the plugin won't load at first, which doesn't stop you from using Illustrator for normal work. Once you're farther along it's possible that the plugin will load and may be a little unstable, but with Illustrator CC crashes rarely cause much lost work because its data recovery works so well (just make sure it's enabled in preferences if you're counting on that). I find that having actual work to do in Illustrator is a great way to test a plugin. If there are occasional issues, I run it in debug mode and when the next problem occurs it's much easier to see what went wrong and fix the bug. If it does happen to cause problems of any kind, you can always move or delete the plugin from Illustrator's Plug-ins folder.

I hope that helps.

Best of luck with your project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they're talking about having the long-running process in a background thread. I'm not sure if that's possible, probably depends on what you're trying to do in the background thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that makes sense. If the question, then, is whether a user can continue to do other work in Illustrator while the plugin runs in testing mode, I'd say "yes" since in both Mac and Windows one can run a second instance of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably not, if your plugin takes into account the "structure" of the file you are working in.. layers/groups ... locking stuff changing transparency etc... those could change from user interaction and possibly confuse the script/give a different result.

i.e. if I lock the top most layer it will probably get mad it can no long access some text layer I was applying the plugin to.

I am not sure what you plug-in does exactly... but if it needs a document state to 'do stuff' that might be problematic while the user drifts around the file changing/adding content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines