Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC crash on startup - nVidia SurroundDisplay the cause

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks,

I don't have a question, per se.  Just a problem description and a request that it get fixed.  Yesterday, I began experiencing a crash on startup with both Lightroom Classic (3.7.1) and Lightroom.  It happened immediately before the splashscreen and was very repeatable.  I spent the day trolling many forums and tried everything I could find which included many of the standard answers:  reset your preferences, uninstall/reinstall, revert to previous version, logout/login, etc.  (Note that with the crash, I couldn't actually reset the preferences from within the app.  Instead, I had to go into AppData and remove the files.)

I finally discovered the problem was with nVidia's surround display capability.  For those that aren't familiar, that is nVidia's ability to "fuse" multiple separate monitors into a single virtual display essentially creating a single display that spans multiple monitors.

I have been using Lightroom Classic for a very long time with that capability enabled, and now I can't.  I'm pretty certain this started with the latest nVidia driver update this past week (398.11).  The only reason I'm not 100% certain is because there were a few days between the driver update and my attempt to use Lightroom.  I also know that the same crash happens with the previous version Lightroom Classic CC (3.6).  I saw it when I attempted to fix this problem by reverting to the previous version.

I know I'm pointing out that it's the nVidia drivers that are the likely cause.  It might be easy to say that nVidia is what needs to be fixed.  Personally, I don't care who fixes what.  I'm just asking that the issue please be resolved.

Thank you

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Photoshop CC 2018. In normal, separate three monitors mode, Photoshop CC 2018 works fine. With Nvidia Surround activated (which is how I always have my screens set up, so discovering this as the cause took several days), Photoshop CC 2018 opens, but as soon as I try to open a file (even a small jpg), it crashes.

I have been searching the Nvidia forums for a solution, but I have not found one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues with Photoshop as well.  This issue with the graphics drivers spans both versions of Lightroom and Photoshop.  As you say, Photoshop crashes a little later in the sequence,but crashes nonetheless.

Like you, I use my computer for other things besides photo editing.  Those other things require the SurroundDisplay capability.  It's a real pain, now, to have to reconfigure my desktop layout every time I want to use one of these Adobe products.  If you find something, please let me know.

BTW, were you able to narrow down when you started noticing the problem?  For me, I believe it was with the latest nVidia driver update this past week.

My specs:

Intel-5930K CPU (Win10 - 64bit - Update 1803)

eVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti GPU  (drivers: 398.11)

12GB ram

2x 256GB SSD

1x 4TB HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started a couple of weeks ago. At this moment, I am stripping away all of my display drivers with Display Driver Uninstall and doing a clean install. I'll let you know if it works.

If it doesn't, I'll be buying a Radeon (and hope it doesn't have the same problem).

Specs:

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD RYZEN 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 95W YD160XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 GB

64 GB ram (2xCorsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4-21300) C16)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That tells me it may not be the latest set of drivers (398.11), but something a few revisions back.  I certainly don't update my drivers with every new rev that comes out.  It just so happens that I upgraded this time.  So, now ahead of me, is the effort of reverting the drivers back until I find the version where it last worked.  (Unless Adobe would like to figure why their apps crash with these drivers and SurroundDisplay.  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I scrubbed the video drivers with Display Driver Uninstall, and then installed 397.93.

Photoshop still crashed.

I scrubbed the video drivers with Display Driver Uninstall, and then installed 391.35.

HUGE SUCCESS.

So that solves that, for me, anyway.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And literally minutes after I typed that and submitted it, I got a blue screen of death (BSOD):

"Video Scheduler Internal Error".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your lead, cleaned all my drivers, then installed 391.35.  That worked fine for me.  Both Lightroom and Photoshop are stable.

I then downloaded and installed each released version from there up to the point where they crash again.  That included:  391.35, 397.31, 397.64, & 397.93.  Both Lightroom and Photoshop start crashing again with version 397.93 (with Surround Display enabled).

Looking at the website where I get my drivers, that means this problem was introduced sometime after 397.64, sometime after May 9th.  The 397.93 release that crashes is dated May 24th.  (My driver source is eVGA: EVGA - Download Center)

I hate to mark this as the "Correct Answer", because the answer is really to figure out what's happening between Adobe and nVidia drivers. All we've done here is identify a temporary work-around.

Hope this helps you and anyone else reading along.  Adobe, I've done a bit of the leg work for you.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm: 397.64 is the most recent driver which does not cause Photoshop CC 2018 to crash when NVidia Surround is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I just upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers.  (398.36)   Lightroom seems to be working with Surround now.

Cheers,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - I have nVidia surround and was getting instant crashes.  I upgraded to 398.36 nVidia drivers and was able to load Lightroom again.  Thanks for those in this thread that pointed me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, with this latest set of drivers, Adobe works.  But if you're not setup for surround and go to setup for surround in 3x1 or 1x3, you won't be able to.  It's a bug in the driver set.  Sigh...   I'm back to 397.64 until they get THAT fixed.  But at least Adobe works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I fixed my issue

Even though the active GPU was Nvidia, the fix was to upgrade the INTEL drivers. I know this sounds strange.

I was @ version 24.xxx   and I had to upgrade to 25.xxx

However this is not straightforward : if you just download the new driver and launch exe, in my case, it refused to install because manufacturer drivers were installed (Dell). I had to :

- Download latest Intel driver from Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 630  (in my case, since I have HD 630)

- Unzip the exe in a folder using, for instance, 7zip

- go to device manager (Windows + X --> device manager)

- uninstall Intel drivers and click on "Delete driver files"

- DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION

- In the device manager, right-click anywhere and choose "Scan for hardware changes"

- Wait for the Intel display adapter to appear

- Right click and choose "Update driver". If it is disabled, click on Properties then Driver then Update driver.

- Choose "Have disk" and locate the place where you extracted the Intel driver

- Let it install

Hopefully once this is done, your problems are over. They were for me, even though I was using the Nvidia driver!!!! (go figure)

A reboot might be necessary.

Wish you all the best of luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 8.3 which should fix the crash issue at the app start-up. (conflict with a specific Nvidia GPU driver)

To update Lightroom Classic to 8.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom Classic.

More detailed instructions for updating

This update includes new features and bug fixes to some of the top customer reported issues.

What’s new and fixed

Read more about the Lightroom Ecosystem May release on the Adobe Blog.

May Lightroom Releases

Please update to latest version of Lightroom Classic and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Akash Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 8.3 which should fix the crash issue at the app start-up. (conflict with a specific Nvidia GPU driver)

To update Lightroom Classic to 8.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom Classic.

More detailed instructions for updating

This update includes new features and bug fixes to some of the top customer reported issues.

What’s new and fixed

Read more about the Lightroom Ecosystem May release on the Adobe Blog.

May Lightroom Releases

Please update to latest version of Lightroom Classic and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Akash Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have a similar issue using a DUAL GTX 1060 6GB, where the program crashes on load up.

quick fix for us =

roll back LR to version 8.3

update Nvidia to version 431.60

open LR, it will freeze (or appear to)

minimise LR via the task bar.

do not touch any frozen images or icons related to LR

click windows, open a separate program. (e.g. word)

minimise all programs,

reopen LR via the taskbar.

it works!

setup:

intel i7 3770

16GB corsair RAM

400gb initel SSD

Geforec Dual GTX1060 6GB

NZXT Phantom case Black / Orange (vanity only)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines