Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mesh Envelope. Keeping a straight line.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I am trying to distort one part of a rectangle while keeping the part beyond the row unchanged.

The first picture is my attempt at distorting the rectangle. The second is from a tutorial where the teacher has no issues throughout the process. Nothing beyond the teachers row moves while he is distorting the shape to fit the curve.

Thank you.

ex.PNGex2.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

he uses the mesh to sub divide the envelope shape then watch how he drops the vertices down further (not the default sub divide) then he only edits the bezier handles for the lower portion that is bent.... any art contained inside the envlope shape is going to try to conform to its shape (when the bottom 'bends' it to bends... the top part literally has no curve so it doesn't)

play with AL the handles -- you see how they affect each other... when I pulled most of them in closer to the vertex pint

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe sub-divide your blue shape some more... might even out the bends and get rid of the distortion.

I can't too much more from the images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but this is the same layout the person in the tutorial is using and he gets no distortion on the vertical lines. There has to be something that he is doing in the settings to make this work correctly.

Here is a link to the tutorial.

Graphic Design | Overlap | Illustrator Tutorial - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sleazebagger  schrieb

Thank you but this is the same layout the person in the tutorial is using and he gets no distortion on the vertical lines. There has to be something that he is doing in the settings to make this work correctly.

In that case: why don't you ask that person?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide a screenshot of your Layers panel, with all shapes disclosed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ex3.PNG

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I withdraw my question in #5.

Have just glimpsed into that video and saw what this guy wants to build. Now why do you you even use envelopes for that?

It can be cleanly built without them.

You need this:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-13 um 10.23.44.png

Which is really just some quarter circles attached to some lines and then duplicated.

Then you use the live paint tool to get this:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-13 um 10.27.22.png

Will take you about 5 minutes to build.

The hardest part is to not get lost in the stripes with the live paint tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kind of crazy they go to all that effort wrestling with meshes when they've drawn most of what they need in the first 90 seconds. i can only assume its in some attempt to teach meshes and symbols at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Doug+A+Roberts  schrieb

i can only assume its in some attempt to teach meshes and symbols at the same time.

I don't think so.

I rather assume it's because they don't know the live paint tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great and will have to try it. Thank you!

I would still like to get to the bottom of my original question and know how that guy is able to distort the shape only above or below the row.

Note: I have asked the guy who made the vid but he does not reply. Doesn't seem to reply on any of his videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps upload your file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Object > Envelope Distort > Envelope Options > Fidelity settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he uses the mesh to sub divide the envelope shape then watch how he drops the vertices down further (not the default sub divide) then he only edits the bezier handles for the lower portion that is bent.... any art contained inside the envlope shape is going to try to conform to its shape (when the bottom 'bends' it to bends... the top part literally has no curve so it doesn't)

play with AL the handles -- you see how they affect each other... when I pulled most of them in closer to the vertex pint seemed to dull the bump.Notice the ones that are horizontal... mess with those. and then mess with the vertical handles to get what you want.  Tutorials are just starting points, you gotta play with settings until it is right for your file. Experiment handle.PNG bez2.PNG

If you subdivide it one more time than the tut did... gives more control... see below.

3rd line.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines