• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

getting delta character to display in browser

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 6 and generating both HTML Help and WebHelp. Today, I needed to include a delta symbol (also known as an increment sign and looks like a tiny triangle) with a text label, as "delta %BC. RoboHelp generates Δ for this character in the True Code and I am able to visualize it in the Previewer. But when I generate the WebHelp or compile the HTML Help, the output does not show the symbol in the browser (any browser) or in the MS HTML Help window.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and, if so, is there a tweek or get-around to make it happen?

Thanks,
dar2009

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009
WooHoo! Thanks for that tip Rick! By looking at the browser source, I could see that RH was deleting the Δ entries that I hardcoded, and I also noticed that RH mysteriously added, to some other unrelated part of the same paragraph, the   bogus code. At the end of the paragraph in question, it shows "  For example,       if the starting trend point...." Don't have a clue what   is for - nothing shows for it when viewing the paragraph in the browser.

At any ra...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Dar

Any chance of converting the character to an image and using the image instead?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick and yes, that will be my last resort, but I can't let go of the why does it show in RoboHelp preview pane as there with &#916 but not in the browser and not matter what settings I use to generate the help all and pure HTML; in the browser (any browser - I use IE7 to start with), the symbol is simply not there - not even a blank space - nadda . It's as if that piece of code is completely ignored during generation. I've never had a problem with my output not giving me some clue as to what's wrong. If you look at the browser, the code string "(Δ %BC)" looks like (%BC). The same is true with any number of variations of the same, such as "( Δ%BC)" which displays as ( %BC).

I could use a tiny image, but for the image to be big enough to view easily, it'll skew the line spacing when inserted into a block of text and I'd rather not go that route. I've also considered re-writing the paragraph and using a popup image/description for the darned field.

I was hoping there was a YAC (yet another code) that I could use that would work better, or some escape sequence I could use to force display of the symbol...:)

Thanks,
dar2009
Thx,
dar2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

When you display the page and it refuses to show, do you see the entity if you choose to right-click and view the source of the page? If so, it's a browser issue. If not, it means RoboHelp is doing something with the code. And if that's the case, I may have a workaround for you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WooHoo! Thanks for that tip Rick! By looking at the browser source, I could see that RH was deleting the Δ entries that I hardcoded, and I also noticed that RH mysteriously added, to some other unrelated part of the same paragraph, the   bogus code. At the end of the paragraph in question, it shows "  For example,       if the starting trend point...." Don't have a clue what   is for - nothing shows for it when viewing the paragraph in the browser.

At any rate, using notepad on the output file, I inserted the Δ everywhere it needed to go, then removed all spurious entries for   and the page looks exactly as it should now.

Thanks so much. to both of you, for you wisedom!

ONWARD!
dar2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it in RH7 and it works in both webhelp and a CHM. I don't have access to RH6 right now.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter; although thanks to the economy, RH upgrade is not an option at this time. Is RH 7 still supported by Adobe and will it run on a Vista platform?
dar2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes.

I will never understand why anyone stuck with RH6 when Adobe offered an upgrade to RH7 for $80 for months after its launch.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Peter, I for one never heard about that offer, nor was RH 7 mentioned when I contacted support (not too long after the Adobe takeover of Macromedia), for some obscure technical issue. In order for Adobe support to help me, they told me I had to upgrade to a minimum of RH 5x; I got RH 6 instead (I don't think 7 had released yet. I had no clue what to expect with RH 6 and had not planned to upgrade, as I was in the midst of a nighmare delivery schedule that couldn't afford any gotchas and already flying at mach 10 with my hair on fire.....

Later, I got a new XP Pro machine, but the XP machine didn't like RH 6 and I was unable to open it once installed there; rather than going through Adobe support again and being told I had to upgrade to yet another version, I simply un-installed on the XP machine and re-installed it on the old W2K machine so I could keep working.

At any rate, I'll be moving to a Vista/whatever platform; until then, I'm sort of stuck with RH 6 on my W2K machine (defniitely not worth upgrading) and doing everything else on my XP. When I get the new machine, most likely I'll purchase the latest version of the full RH product and not bother upgrading what I have - who knows what version of RH will be out by then :)

Regards,
dar2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You hit the old nail squarely on its head Leon - thanks again to all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, dar2009's last response actually points to one of many reasons "why anyone stuck with RH6 when Adobe offered an upgrade to RH7 for $80 for months after its launch," as you wondered aloud.

Combine the chaotic eHelp/Blue Sky/Macromedia/Adobe progression of buyout/buyout/end-of-life/RH6/RH7/RH8 with the fact that many organizations mostly use contract writers, secretaries, and engineers to prepare documentation and are reluctant to upgrade any of their software tools unless there's a gun to their heads, the sad fact is that most employers and employees were simply unaware of (or simply unconcerned with) the evolution of this remarkable software that you and I and several other senior forum members have been agonizing over. The "window of opportunity" for most of them was simply boarded over.

That's why...

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp