• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locate Object in Layers Window

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator when you have an object selected, you can go to the flyout option menu and select an action named "locate object." This then brings you to where that object is located in layers. It's brilliant and I am looking for it's equivalent in InDesign. Otherwise, in documents with many objects and layers, I have to scroll a lot while looking for a colored square, sometimes opening many sublayers in the process to locate my desired layer/object.

A basic question and I say thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Hi!

I believe CTRL/Command + click on an closed arrow will only expand all layers/groups that have the same level of hierarchy.

Meaning it won't display the whole content of each layer.

But... ALT (PC) + Click on an closed arrow will expand everything in the clicked layer (or group)

As an example, I want to "locate" the red stroked square in my layer panel.

I would start by CTRL + clicking on the arrow of an expanded layer in order to close all layers. (But it's not really necessary)

Then I would Alt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that InDesign has an equivalent feature.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press the Command key (Ctrl on PC) while clicking on one of the disclosure arrows to open a layer, it will open all layers and show their contents. At least you can quickly see all the objects...still will have to scroll though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I believe CTRL/Command + click on an closed arrow will only expand all layers/groups that have the same level of hierarchy.

Meaning it won't display the whole content of each layer.

But... ALT (PC) + Click on an closed arrow will expand everything in the clicked layer (or group)

As an example, I want to "locate" the red stroked square in my layer panel.

I would start by CTRL + clicking on the arrow of an expanded layer in order to close all layers. (But it's not really necessary)

Then I would Alt + click on the arrow of the layer that contains the selected object.

Piece of cake: just notice the colored square on the right hand-side of the layer. Red in my example, because Layer 2 is red.

Now, all you have to do is to look for the big colored square that flags the selected object. Small colored square flag the parent groups of the object. If you reaaaally have a lot of stuff, you might have to scroll down a little bit, but it's still quite easy to locate.

See example below:

square.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinny38  wrote

… But... ALT (PC) + Click on an closed arrow will expand everything in the clicked layer (or group)

Hi Vinny,

thank's for that hint!

Hm… with my laptop where a German Windows 10 version 1803 and a German InDesign CC 2018.1 is installed it is Strg + Alt + Click to open all layers. That said: All layers that contain contents on the active spread. The ones that contain no contents will not be opened.

EDIT: Misread your sentence above. It says "in the clicked layer (or group)", not in the entire Layer panel.
For all layers in the Layer panel that contain something it's: Strg + Alt + Click .

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dan and Erica. I appreciate your response. I am now transitioning from using mostly Illustrator to using InDesign more frequently and I am seeing the two programs have many differences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Can I enable the automatic location of the currently selected object?

It's a very convenient and time-saving option.

Best Regards
Screenshot 2018-12-09 at 13.43.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean, "can I create a keyboard shortcut to call out 'Locate Object' from the Layers panel menu?" the answer is no. It is not included as a panel option for which a shortcut can be applied. It needs to be chosen from the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response. My bad. The question concerned Illustrator. Thank you for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines