Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cleaning up word documents in indesign

Guru ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

looking for some tips or trick to this. I am typesetting and i am copying and pasting references. I have a style going that auto numbers them, however, i get the below when i paste from word. how can i speed up the removal of the number and the tab space?

Thanks

Jonathan

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 9.08.56 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Are the numbers manually entered in Word? Or is it a numbered list. Click in the list in Word and hit Enter/Return and start typing, see if the paragraph gets the next number.

I'm guessing it's a numbered list in Word (most Word users know how to click the Number or Bullet button at the top to make an auto-numbered or bulleted list)  and when you're pasting it in, you're losing the autonumbering, they're being converted to manual numbers followed by a tab.

To confirm and fix this: go to InDesign P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grep could be a solution

find:

^\d+\.\t

format > paragraph style that you use for this

change:

leave blank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I'd clean it up in Word. Who ever did this did a lousy job of using automated features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the numbers manually entered in Word? Or is it a numbered list. Click in the list in Word and hit Enter/Return and start typing, see if the paragraph gets the next number.

I'm guessing it's a numbered list in Word (most Word users know how to click the Number or Bullet button at the top to make an auto-numbered or bulleted list)  and when you're pasting it in, you're losing the autonumbering, they're being converted to manual numbers followed by a tab.

To confirm and fix this: go to InDesign Preferences, and in the Clipboard  Handling section at the bottom, see if you  have "Text Only" selected under the "When Pasting Text and Tables." If so, that's what is causing the double-hit of numbers. It's converting Word's auto-numbered to text numbers.

fb-numbers.png

Solution is to either:

• Switch the Preference  to "All information" when Pasting, which will bring in the list as an autonumbered Word style, and when you apply your own paragraph style, will simply switch  to your/InDesign's autonumbering, OR
  • In Word, select the paragraphs and turn off the Autonumber attribute for them before you copy the text.

If the Word user actually did  enter manual numbers, then the best solution is to use the GREP cleanup after  pasting into ID, as described above.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed that these were being PASTED. If you place the Word files, the auto numbering comes in correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your help. it was a pleasure meeting you at Creative Pro.

always learning something new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now i notice that when i copy and paste from tables in word to indesign it bring in the structure of the table inside the table i already have. switching back to text resolved that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I could help! (And thanks for coming to CreativePro Week!)

That little Clipboard Handling preference setting can come in handy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines