• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to turn down/off the audio in Premiere Pro playback?

Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way in Premiere Pro to turn off or turn down the volume for playback?    For many types of editing I'm just working with the video tracks - doing cuts, transitions, masks, adjustment layers, color correction, etc, etc, and I don't need sound or I don't need it to be very loud.     Sometimes the video work is long and tedious and I like to listen to music while I'm working, so I can't just turn down/off the volume of my whole computer.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

On PC, just access the Volume Mixer (lower right of Windows screen = little speaker thingy) and MUTE Premiere, done! Not changing ANYTHING in Premiere that might bite you later.

Premiere MUTE.jpg

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mute the audio tracks. Controls are in the timeline control header block on the left end of the timeline. You have to mute them all manually, I think ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to alter my project's actual contents -  i.e., which tracks are muted?  There's no way to just tell Premiere Pro to not play sound?   Not all editing tasks involve audio tracks -  I don't understand why Adobe would do it that way.   I'm going to leave this open for another day incase anyone knows of some other alternative because this seems so strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to alter my project's actual contents -  i.e., which tracks are muted?

Um ... I don't see that you're altering any contents. You just click the mute icon on the left of each audio track. When I'm editing with more than one audio, I'm constantly muting one or more or soloing something ... and you can see quite clearly in the timeline control block whether a track is muted or 'normal' or solo'd.

The green M is a muted track ... the gray M's are "normal", and if a track is "solo'd", the box around the S is yellow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um ... I don't see that you're altering any contents.

If you were to Export it at that point, wouldn't it export those tracks as muted?

I recently did a recording at a music festival -  I had 3 cameras, each with it's own audio recording so I could synchronise everything together, plus a 6-channel field recorder with its own good microphones which I intended to use for the audio in in the final output. So that's a lot of audio tracks and I spent a lot of time tweaking and adjusting my audio and I did end up mixing in some content picked up by one of the cameras because it had some interesting crowd noises I wanted.    So I'd be reluctant to take any chances undoing that work by messing around with the individual audio tracks.

Will Ann's suggestion of using the Master (-100) return everything to how I had it when I put it back to 0.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On PC, just access the Volume Mixer (lower right of Windows screen = little speaker thingy) and MUTE Premiere, done! Not changing ANYTHING in Premiere that might bite you later.

Premiere MUTE.jpg

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BINGO!!     That's it!   Just what I needed.  I can turn off the sound on my Premiere Pro and still happily listen to my music library!    Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a way to do this on a mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Ann's suggestion of using the Master (-100) return everything to how I had it when I put it back to 0.0?

Yes, you are not changing anything just the master track,

Volume Mixer wont work for me as I dont have Premiere in the volume mixer present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could solo an empty track, that will kill the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A helpful shortcut for this is to hold Option (on macOS) as you mute a single track—this, in turn, mutes all tracks (and unmutes the same way).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer we all need! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can lower the master track volume in the Audio Track Mixer,

Don't forget to reset it when done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no audio.png

Type in -100 and it will set itself to negative infinity -∞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no global volume controls for Premiere Pro.

It would be a nice feature, though.  (Resolve has it, and I use it.)

Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines