• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign changes line spacing when I press return

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys, I have a problem where indesign is changing the line spacing in a paragraph when I hit return. The typeface is 18 with spacing at 20. This doesn't change when I highlight the line above and the line below.

Can anyone shed any light? This happens all the time.Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 12.35.42.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

It's a common problem. It usually comes from having two leading values inside a given line of type in InDesign.

If this is the problem, it's easy to deduce:

1) Move your cursor to the very start of the line following the end of your offending paragraph. Hold down the mouse button and drag-select the entire line above it. This selects the entire line of type, from start to the end.

2) Check the leading value in the Control Panel. I'll bet you a nickel that it's blank. That means there are two (or mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check the paragraph's values space before and/or after

Schermata 2018-06-14 alle 13.43.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit return? Space Before/After paragraph comes to play then. Check values in Control panel, most likely they're higher than zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a common problem. It usually comes from having two leading values inside a given line of type in InDesign.

If this is the problem, it's easy to deduce:

1) Move your cursor to the very start of the line following the end of your offending paragraph. Hold down the mouse button and drag-select the entire line above it. This selects the entire line of type, from start to the end.

2) Check the leading value in the Control Panel. I'll bet you a nickel that it's blank. That means there are two (or more) leading values in the line above to the start of the following line.

3) Enter the leading value you want in the Leading edit box. Everything will snap to the line spacing you expect.

Now to the cause: either there is a space after the punctuation in that line with a different value than the rest of your paragraph, or there's a paragraph style applied that doesn't cover the invisible paragraph return character at the end of the paragraph.

To fix it, rather than deduce the problem, quadruple-click quickly -- one, two, three, four times -- into the offending paragraph and set your desired leading value/apply your desired paragraph style to get the value you're looking for.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy I went in and unchecked "only align first line to grid" and it sorted it out for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool. It's that blank value in the leading box that rats out problems every time.

It may not tell you what the problem is, but it's pretty good at at least identifying something is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines