• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fraction problem.

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm working a document which is changing number dates to fractions.

For example, the date 11/26.

On the general layout, it's visually showing up as 1½6.

When I look at this in Edit mode, it shows 11/26.

If I do a search for 11/26, it finds 1½6 on the layout.

If I do a search for 1½6, it does NOT exist though that's what's showing.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the same thing, viewed within Edit next to live layout.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.01.36 PM.png

HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

You have enabled an OpenType feature as a default: "Fractions" *. You did that using one of these methods:

having nothing selected at all and enabling it through the Character panel;

having a dedicated Character Style for it (intentionally or by accident) and having that character style, in turn, enabled as a default for new text frames;

manually enabling it in a Paragraph style "just to see what happens";

having some text selected where it was applied manually and selecting "Redefine Paragr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn:

My best guess is that there is a GREP style assigned to the paragraph tag. Can you check and let us know?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no there isn't GREP assigned.

I think the preference file got corrupted on another person's InDesign that I'm collaborating with. She started having issues with strange things, and I imported part of her work into what I've done. When that happened, looks like everything that had things like 11/2 (as in November 2) converted to fractions (½) where 1/2 was.

Resetting preferences didn't help her, so we both uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign on both ends. She's running an older OS and couldn't upgrade, so she was working on an older version of InDesign. I imported her work (IMDL) into my IDD 2018.

She's now going to upgrade her OS on the Mac so we can be on the same version. Hope this killed the ghosts in the machine :-{

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shawn, a quick typographic note. When a range of numbers is expressed like "11-11:30am," or "9/10-10/15" an En dash should be used instead of a plain hyphen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Scott.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you marked Scott's reply as "Correct answer" but I get the feeling it was not meant that way. Unless – I did not try – changing the dashes solves your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, although my reply might be the correct answer to another question, it is not going to solve your original fraction problem. I do believe that JW's reply (5.) is in fact Correct.

I have therefore taken the liberty to Uncorrect my earlier post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have enabled an OpenType feature as a default: "Fractions" *. You did that using one of these methods:

having nothing selected at all and enabling it through the Character panel;

having a dedicated Character Style for it (intentionally or by accident) and having that character style, in turn, enabled as a default for new text frames;

manually enabling it in a Paragraph style "just to see what happens";

having some text selected where it was applied manually and selecting "Redefine Paragraph Style".

– probably a ton more. (Yes, InDesign is very versatile – if you know what you are doing.)

You can go over all of these options and check them one by one (and I am sure you will ultimately find you applied it through yet another way that I did not list), or just select all text and disable the feature using the Character panel menu.

* Some OpenType fonts contain code to correctly create proper fractions out of any sequence of "digit / digit"; for example, Minion Pro does this correctly. Other font designers only include a straight conversion from 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 to the precomposed characters ½, ¼, and ¾ (and some designers even don't bother to do that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines