• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snap to Path/Point

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry please excuse this post as I've search but can't find an answer but might because I'm using the wrong terminology.

I'm using InDesign CS6.

If I draw two line and then use the Direct Selection Tool to pick an end point on one of the lines and try to place it onto the end point of the other line there is no auto snapping to either the path or the end point of the other line. This all seams very easy in Illustrator.

Is it functionality that is just not available in InDesgin?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Nope. In InDesign you can use Document Grid for this kind of alignments:

View > Grids & Guides > Show / Hide Document Grid

View > Grids & Guides > Snap to Document Grid

Document Grid itself can be adjusted in Edit > Preferences > Grids > Document Grid

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. In InDesign you can use Document Grid for this kind of alignments:

View > Grids & Guides > Show / Hide Document Grid

View > Grids & Guides > Snap to Document Grid

Document Grid itself can be adjusted in Edit > Preferences > Grids > Document Grid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be best practice in this case?

I'm adding lines on a photo to map a route. I've done it in Illustrator and then just copy pasted into InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can drag’n’drop or copy/paste simple figures from Illy (and still have them editable in ID), or draw them directly in ID. It depends on your preferences, what you find easier for you. I don’t see a difference in a terms of a final result.

Just don't copy/paste photos from Illy (or any other app, for that matter). Use Place command in InDesign and keep all your graphics linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the advantage placing the photos and the keeping the graphics linked, versus just copy pasting from Illy?

Not sure it would benefit my basic use of ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the advantage placing the photos

Oh, that's a long story. In short: I just strongly discourage you from embedding photos in ID file.

More detailed versions here, or here, or many more places to read after googling indesign placing vs embedding

That is a bit of a work around but it adds in a line between the two original end points so no ideal.

... and you can use Delete Anchor Point Tool (in Tools panel, Pen Tool group) to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can attach the endpoints of two paths by selecting both of them and using Object> Path> Join.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sure. If OP wants to do it. But the question was "how to snap (align) two paths / end points", not "how to join two open paths". That's different things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a bit of a work around but it adds in a line between the two original end points so no ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option, although not ideal is to turn on Smart Guides and snap a horizontal and vertical guide to the point, then you can snap the other point to the intersection of the two guides. After, you can delete the guides if they are in the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines