• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printer settings not saving ID CC 2018 win 10 pro 64bit

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally upgraded my computer and am having problems with Indesign especially. It is not saving my printer settings. If I print and change the doc size to 11x17 it prints. But then if I hit print again it all is set back to default settings. Then beyond that if I set up stuff like cover insertion, image shift etc. in the printer properties thru the printer dialog box those settings are not saved either. Even if I go right back into them without closing Indesign. I have used Indesign from the very first program and never had this trouble. It has always saved all my settings even if I don't come back to it for years. It saves what I set in the printer dialogue box like separations, paper size, printer selection (I have 3 production printers) and also saved what was in printer preferences like drawer selection, duplex and so on. It saved Everything and now it saves nothing.

I've uninstalled everything including the Creative Cloud app using the creative cloud uninstaller. re-installed and it made no difference. I just switched from a windows 7 pro 64 bit machine to a brand new windows 10 pro 64 bit machine. Windows 7 had no problem. Windows 10 has all problems. It even crashes when I try to go into the printer preferences of 2 out of my three production printers. But Acrobat doesn't crash at all. Just Indesign...

Anyone else experiencing this? I didn't see anything on the forums. Any thoughts? Very frustrating!

Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

The correct answer is in this thread here. all Windows 7 files are messed up in Windows 10 Printing Problems

Read the entire thread but specifically read #6 and the answer is #14.

Basically: Ctrl P. to get to the print dialog box. Whatever printer was used last time you printed the document will be there. Change to a different printer. Go to the different printers settings. You don't even have to change any settings. Just click OK or print from the printer settings. Now you are back to the print

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a printer driver issue. I would start there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the same thing but my drivers are up to date.

The file I noticed this on was a file that I reprinted and was created mid year this year, from my old Windows 7 computer. I updated it with a new name via the save as command. At this point I realized that it doesn't even take my settings in the first place. If I tell it to print out of drawer 2 FACE UP it prints face down. The only thing it remembers is the drawer number. No other settings like face up and image shift. Things I use all the time...

NOW... I just created a new document and slapped a square on it. The NEW document prints how I want it to AND remembers all my settings....

So I tried something. I opened the offending document (created in Windows 7 around May or June of this year). I then made a new document that was the same size as the old one. Copied everything from the old document and pasted in place in the new document. Saved-as and overwrote the document. NOW IT SAVES EVERYTHING. So there must be some incompatibility built into any document  that I created in Windows 7 that blocks it from saving my preferences in Windows 10. Even if I do a save-as and give it a new name.

So I guess that is the solution to this problem. I often reprint items here so I will surely run into this again in short time. I am going to say this is the solution to the problem. If I come across anything that contradicts this I will post again so others will know if they run into the same thing. I will mark this correct if I find this works in the long run.

All this uninstalling and re-installing for a simple copy, paste, and save!

Thank you Bob for your quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the above is what I used to correct the issue. However this is very unproductive. A band aid at best. If I have to copy over multiple pages that have text box links it is a bleeping mess. I have to re-link everything and hope I didn't screw anything else up. I don't know why this is a problem in Indesign. And it's only in Indesign. All my other programs are fine. I can't believe  that anything I created in windows 7 with the same exact application Indesign CC 2018 is not compatible with the same version on Windows 10. It is going to make my life hell for the next few years and beyond. I'm very frustrated and wish an Adobe Rep would chime in. I guess I'm going to have to live with it and realize I am pretty much starting over on every job even though it is just a re-print. Also, Indesign crashes when I try to go to the printer settings but all other adobe programs don't crash. and all my windows 10 programs and emails don't crash either. Just Indesign. the main program I use daily. I hope and update will fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this in Windows 10 and it seems to work.

1. When you open the print dialog and click setup it will bring up the windows printer menu.
  2. Right click on the printer you are changing the settings on and using for your preset and click "Run as Administrator" and then open.
  3. After doing that my print settings were held for that print and in the preset (I used it on another document). 

On a side note I did just reset my InDesign preferences, after that didn't work I discovered this solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and can verify that this fix worked for me also. As you stated, I did the Run as Admin->Properties->clicked Settings->made changes and hit Apply. When going back in, the changes are still there. Thank you for discovering this.

I noticed that doing this changes the printer's default preferences for everyone. It's as if InDesign is not paying attention to what we told the file to do, but only reading the printer's default information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe (if you read these posts),

I find the fix posted in reply number 4 (as good as it is) unacceptable as a permanent solution. I was on another PC with Windows 10 and InDesign CC 2017. After I moved to my current PC, I updated to InDesign CC 2018. Now I have to jump through the aforementioned hoops to make my print settings stay put for the current session. This also changes the printer's default preferences for all other users.

My computer's User Access Control is completely OFF, and has been so---I've found issues with UAC causing some programs to misbehave.

I checked Illustrator CC 2018 and it does not have this problem, so this is not an printer driver issue, this is an InDesign issue.

Rather than constantly change the printer's default preferences for InDesign, I'm pausing the printer and submitting my job, then canceling the job in Command WorkStation so that I can set the correct workflow and reprocess. Slower, but safer than changing default preferences for everyone on a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlameTechIT  wrote

Adobe (if you read these posts),

They may or they may not. If you want them to read about it, post it here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, BobLevine. I'm submitting a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To further comment, in case others are having similar issues. The following was discovered while documenting for a bug report.

The existing file I'm editing has this problem only when printing via "Print Booklet..." The standard print dialog seems to remember what I tell it. With creating a new file, I don't observe the printer problem with either "Print Booklet..." or standard printer dialog. The problem continues to persist with the existing file, as well as other existing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem.

I tried the suggestions listed to no avail.

Figured out it saves settings for new docs but not pre-existing.

Hope Adobe fixes this on the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a recent update that I applied this morning. It appears to have fixed my problem with "Print Booklet..." failing to remember printer preferences. I was not experiencing this problem through the standard print function.

FYI: At first, it seemed to work for one file, but not another. Found that if I changed to a different printer and saved/reopened, then reassigned and setup the correct printer, it finally remembered everything and saved correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to have worked for me with just regular printing.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are currently two bug reports for this issue: I'd advise anyone encountering this bug to vote them both up and hopefully draw it to the InDesign team's attention:

"Print Booklet..." – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Issues printing with Xerox C75. Duplex printing, save and print features don't work. Doesn't save pr...

Definitely seems like an InDesign bug to me as my driver hasn't changed and this only started happening around the time ID 2018 came out. It also only happens with documents created in a previous version: docs created fresh in 2018 don't exhibit this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer is in this thread here. all Windows 7 files are messed up in Windows 10 Printing Problems

Read the entire thread but specifically read #6 and the answer is #14.

Basically: Ctrl P. to get to the print dialog box. Whatever printer was used last time you printed the document will be there. Change to a different printer. Go to the different printers settings. You don't even have to change any settings. Just click OK or print from the printer settings. Now you are back to the print dialog box. Switch back to the printer you need to use. Now go into those settings and make whatever changes are needed to print your document correctly. Click OK and click print from the print dialog box. Bam! Prints correctly and when you go back into the settings, they remain intact.

So if printed on Printer A last time, but wont save settings this time. Open printer Dialog, Switch from printer A to printer B. Open Printer B settings Then just confirm them, even without changing any. Then without backing out of printer dialog box. Change back to Printer A Go into it's settings and make desired changes. Click OK and Click Print. All settings saved.

Remember to save your file after that. Then setting will be saved and good moving forward.

If you don't have more than one printer just go into your PDF printer as "Printer B" and all will be good,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks GE: that's good to know! It is however a workaround rather than a fix, i.e. there's a bug that needs fixing. Sure, we can get around it with a few extra steps but I'd really like people to vote for the bug on Uservoice so that Adobe will address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I see the inconvenience, speaking for myself, I never print directly from InDesign and neither does anyone I know. It’s export to PDF and print that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably why I haven't really noticed it until now: I don't do it that often. When you're designing something and just want a quick look at how it's going it's convenient to just print though. InDesign also gives you more control on the output, such as scaling to a specific percentage, tiling etc. Depending on what your work involves, the printing direct function will be of varying usefulness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well BobLevine​  I can see your conviction in your PDF workflow. I don't believe it is what is good for me. I have way more control and can easily tweak colors to perfection. I have been printing Directly from Adobe for 21 years. Even from PageMaker. It's a direct workflow that works great for me. You were rather crass in my other thread as well. Humble you are not sir. Maybe the title of MVP under your name has gone to your head. I would have expected a little more respect just like everyone else gives in this community. In fact, the person who solved my issue had no problem doing so and didn't have to have any underlying arrogant tones while doing so. All you have done for me so far is make snide remarks that never lent any help to my situation. I will make sure to steer clear of your Lynda articles. I may now be the only person you know who prints Directly from InDesign and I will be happy not to know you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deal in facts and state them clearly. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm not here to paint pretty pictures for people.

I wish you a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh... Your one of those people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must not know many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

People using InDesign's personalization feature (or an advanced solution like the XMPie-plugin) to generate serial letters or mailings will for sure not want to use your workaround. They need InDesign to work properly with the printer settings dialogue and honor the settings that were correctly chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines