• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats the best way to deal with traditional (not metadata) captions?

Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best (least crazy-making) way to deal with traditional captions based on text (not metadata).

I'm working on a long technical book that will include >100 figures, each with a caption consisting of one more sentences.

Here is the first one: it was easy to do because there was a natural break int he text that allowed me to simply create my caption with a paragraph style.

Screenshot 2018-06-14 13.42.54.png

But of course it won't always be that easy: here is an example where the figure and its caption had to be inserted into the middle of a paragraph and so I put the caption inside its own text frame to get the body copy to "jump" the figure + caption combo correctly.

Screenshot 2018-06-14 13.59.21.png

Is this the "right" way to do captions? If so, is there a way to automate the creation of a caption box for text when a new graphic is placed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Hi Marie:

I would:

1. Place the image on the pasteboard (outside the printable page), add the caption and group them.
  2. Activate text wrap for the group and then drag the group to the desired position.
  3. Once in place, anchor the group to the text so that it moves with your edits.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie:

I would:

1. Place the image on the pasteboard (outside the printable page), add the caption and group them.
  2. Activate text wrap for the group and then drag the group to the desired position.
  3. Once in place, anchor the group to the text so that it moves with your edits.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, that is a good suggestion. As you can see, I ended up the captions a little bit offset from the baseline. Any thought on how to fix that? My paragraph style for captions is "align to grid".

Screenshot 2018-06-15 08.25.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a slight variation of what has been suggested. It's not better but, as it behaves in a different way, you might find this alternative interesting in some cases when it comes to the painful operation of fitting the text.

Instead of just grouping the objects (image(s) and caption(s)) and then placing the group in the text flow, try placing the whole group "inside" of another (bounding) box, adjust the new box to the content and then place the container in the text flow. The bounding box won't change size unless you want it to, regardless to any change in the group inside.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain what you mean by "bounding box" in this context?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A frame (not text nor image) that you simply use as a container to place the other things inside it. What you place is this container, that behaves as a single unit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Marie,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie:

I'm not sure what you mean by "As you can see, I ended up the captions a little bit offset from the baseline"—your caption baselines are snapped to the baseline grid. Did you want them closer to the image? If so, shorten the image slightly (or reduce the text wrap offset below) and then you can move the captions up to the first grid line under the image.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines