• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing Frame Rate

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm shooting a walkthrough tour video of a building, and shot it at 60 fps with 1/125 shutter speed. The reason is I knew I wanted to slow down certain shots, kind of like MTV Cribs style. I'm now starting to kick myself for shooting in 60 fps because I feel it may not look as professional. This is one of my first videos so I'm really concerned with the result.  My thought process pre shooting was I could always convert it to 30 fps by either exporting it that way or changing the timeline to 30.

I'm now realizing that it doesn't look as great when I do so because I shot at 1/125 shutter instead of 1/60, which wouldve been optimal for 30 fps. Is there anything I can do to drop the frame rate to 30 without losing quality due to the high shutter speed? Will time interpolation settings like frame blend help in this case?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AdamF,

Can you upload a small sample somewhere so we can inspect it and to help you find a solution?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30 doesn't look all that "professional" either.  You really need to be shooting at 24 fps with a 1/50 shutter to get that "professional" film look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed on the above comment. 30fps looks very strange, like an early 90's camcorder or something. The brain processes 24fps most easily so it looks the best. Nearly everything in Hollywood is shot at 24fps. Next time I'd shoot at 120fps, not 60fps. It will give you a buttery smooth slow-mo that just looks great.

So, if you go to your clips in the project panel, click the first one, hold shift and click the last one, this will select them all. Then right click on them and go to MODIFY. Modify will give you the option to INTERPRET FOOTAGE. Click this and it will bring up another screen. At the top there are two options: Use Frame Rate from File; Assume this Frame Rate. Choose the Assume the Frame Rate option and in the small bar next to it, type in 30.00

You can also put in 24.00 but it may not come out perfect. Try it out.

If you want to slow down some parts still to make it look stylized and cool, follow this video. It really helped me and I got some sweet footage because of it.

How using a SPEED RAMP can IMPROVE your videos!! - YouTube

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many TV commercials (broadcast at 30 fps ) look very good to most people. It can be argued some stuff shot at 30fps to be transferred 1:1 ( one frame film to one frame broadcast ( two fields per frame)) look pretty nice.

This TV commercial was shot mostly at 30fps, but some was shot higher for the slow motion (which ultimately is 30fps broadcast).

Is nice donkey commercial.

Budweiser Donkey - Stefan Czapsky

I think the interpret footage thing to 30 should look fine for you. It has nothing to do with exposure at 60. That's already a done deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your problem is that you shot 60 without wanting it to be slow motion, so now you have to drop every other frame to get 30, but it shouldn't be terrible (hopefully ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. My main concern is that I shot with a shutter speed of 1/125 which is optimal for 60 FPS,  so if I convert it to 30 FPS the shutter speed of 1/125 will make it look weird. I’m fairly new to this so I honestly can’t tell if it looks weird, but logically speaking I feel like it’s a possibility.

if that’s the case then converting to 25fps would be Even more off regarding shutter speed.

The irony is i ended up Not using slow mo once so far lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm.

Your original footage at 60 and 120 is your exposure (along with F stop and ISO ). It is done. Like, you took a picture and it came out nice and you like it.

Now, changing the FPS has nothing to do with what you previously used for shutter speed or F stop or ISO. That is a product you already made and has no bearing on what you do to change the FPS etc.

Imagine taking a picture with a still camera at an ISO of 100, F stop of 8, and shutter speed of 125. You print that picture on paper. You like the way it looks (exposure is nice ).  So that's what you have. It's a final product, on paper that you like.

Changing FPS in editor uses that same nice picture and nice exposure and just drops every other frame to 30 FPS without having anything to do with what you did before to get nice exposure.

So, let's say you take 60 photos of some action. All frames look nice with nice exposure.  And now you take every other photo OUT of the sequence. That's what you are doing. I has nothing to do with what you did before re: shutter speed.

???? does that make sense ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

final note:

the shutter speed DOES effect how motion is captured re: blurry or sharp. At 120 pics will capture motion without as much blur as 1/48th ( or 50th of sec which DSLR's have ). That is the only difference.

I just asked someone what is being used for broadcast of Quantico and Shades of Blue and it is 23.97, much to my disappointment. I am now going to hide under blankets and read books and admit there are strange things going on. Why someone would add frames to broadcast 30 ( six frames per sec difference) is beyond me.

: (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely get what you’re saying regarding exposure. My concern was with the motion blur aspect like you mentioned. 1/125 shutter speed isn’t the proper amount of motion blur for 30fps, so I wasnt sure if my footage concerted to 30fps with 1/125 shutter speed would look off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

depends what you shot. If you shot running horsies then they move fast and blur would be pronounced. If you shot someone standing still and talking the blur would be negligible or non existent. You'll find out when you've completed it. There's nothing wrong if it looks OK to you.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines