• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"There is a problem with Generator.." error when starting Adobe Photoshop CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have searched Adobe support sites and tried every solution possible (I think).  Stil got the error message during startup, when I try to export (Both Export As.. and Quick export as PNG/JPG). Uninstalled photoshop, rebooted, reinstalled photoshop, deleted all my plug-ins  (Only from One.com) deleted preferences, resett photoshop  (Ctrl+Alt+Shift during start) and so on.

Now I need som help to get this issue solved.  Can someone please help me?

Adobe_Error.JPG

Adobe_Error2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

OMG, I'm sorry I just got this fixed yesterday.

I don't know if you have a PC, but in addition to the instructions below, I used ccleaner and tweaking.com

Tweaking.com actually solved a bunch of other issues (and it's free).

Found buried in a thread (problem with generator : from NoDeadPixels 05-Aug-2017 01:12 (in response to johnm77723406)

I had this issue happen a while back and a temp fix that worked was to create a new local user account on Windows. I eventually wanted to go back to my origina

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious if you found a fix? I can't export anything for a couple months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry about late answer.  No, the issue is not fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Me too had the same issue and tried almost everything to get rid of the warning message for which the results were negative after every attempt.But, Finally when I had an accidental glance to my notifications panel, which is at the bottom most right corner of the task bar in Win 10 I got the solution for it.

When I clicked the notification which said "Unauthorised changes blocked(Controlled access blocked)"  it lead me to the " Virus & threat Security/Protection History" in Windows Security.From there I "allowed" the "AdobeGCClient" or else you can simply turn of the "controlled folder acess" under Ransome ware protection.

IN SHORT  :

Goto Windows Security ˃ Virus & Threat Protection ˃ Ransomeware Protection (Bottom most) ˃ Manage Ransomeware protetion ˃ Allow an app through controlled folder access ˃ type "YES" for the prompt ˃ Add an allowed app ˃ select recently blocked app (you must have tried to open Adobe PS and try to export a file) ˃ Select "Adobe Photoshope.exe" and the "node.exe" . 

Thats all!!

Done!

Now go back and open Adobe PS..No more erorrs!!!

Note : This worked for me don't know whether it works for you,but please have a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. For me it was necessary to do a similar procedure for my Malwarebytes app. I made in Malwarebytes an exception for detecting ransomware for the file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe and the problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is fixed.  I tried so many things, fixes posted here and on other forums. Non of them helped.

My final fix was to totaly reinstall my pc. Had to start all over again. I'm terryfied of losing files so I have good backup rutines. All produced files are stored in external drives AND in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, I'm sorry I just got this fixed yesterday.

I don't know if you have a PC, but in addition to the instructions below, I used ccleaner and tweaking.com

Tweaking.com actually solved a bunch of other issues (and it's free).

Found buried in a thread (problem with generator : from NoDeadPixels 05-Aug-2017 01:12 (in response to johnm77723406)

I had this issue happen a while back and a temp fix that worked was to create a new local user account on Windows. I eventually wanted to go back to my original account. So, this issue resurfaced and I found a fix - at least for me - I hope helps others. It involves messing with your registry. So, before you do that "export" it to back it up as you can render your computer useless if you mess up your registry. A summary is below and the full link is too - follow what "Sergei" says to do:

1. Exit Photoshop
  2. Go to the start menu on Windows and type regedit. Then...
  3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
  4. When there, on the right-side Window under "Name" you will see a line for "Personal"
  5. On the right of that is "Data" and next to "Personal" mine was pointing to an old drive I had removed.
  6. It said something like "P:\Documents"
  7. Right-click on "Personal" and select "Modify" and instead, type in "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" (without the quotes)
  8. Click OK and exit Regedit. Restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg this worked!  Thank you so much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could kiss you OverAir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works perfectly now. Thank you so much. Adobe has to fix this. The error-message is cryptic and Photoshop not very robust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved me! Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OverAirLtd​ - Can't thank you enough.  I have been searching for a solution to this problem forever.  Your detailed instructions worked like a charm.   I owe you an expensive adult beverage of your choice.  Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS!!! The regedit fix highlighted a drive change I'd made without realising the impact, working as normal now. Great time saver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you saved my @ss! I would never guess this was the solution. THX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was already showing "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" so I still have the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine showed "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" also.  What did correct it for me was to open Malwarebytes and go to the "Allow List" and add the node.exe file which is located in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying all methods (reinstalling, register, permissions, etc.), it was just a Malwarebytes problem. Once node.exe was included as an exclusion, the problem stopped. AT LONG LAST!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe it, that worked.   Thanks for posting this!  I've been struggling to find a solution to this issue for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insertion %USERPROFILE%\Documents via regedit did not fix the problem for me. Based on timing, I suspect my problem was caused by Luminar 4 trial doing a crap job of removing itself, or less likely but possible during installation. It's kind of like they crapped on your rug on the way out the door...  Pressing on still looking for the fix.  Is there supposed to be anything in photoshop's "Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\plug-ins\Generator" folder ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm. mine already said, "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" so this doesn't resolve for me.  I recently started using Luminar 4... full version. Weird. Not sure how this would be related but odd you mentioned that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent problem with the Generator Error for most people I've seen was traced to malwarebytes (and sometimes reported windows Defender) false positive of Node.exe Googling it paired with generator error should bring up more info but white listing these (or your PS version, 2018 etc) seems to have fixed it for many people. Good luck. 

• Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe
  • macOS: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Adobe Photoshop 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/node

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justameente tengo el mismo problema por culpa del mierdero que dejó luminar 4 trás su instalación.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This makes perfect sense now that I see node.exe is involved. Malwarebytes was the problem. I usually think to eliminate that in troubleshooting but with PS mentioning 3rd party plugins and then this thread, I was lost and thought this was going to be major. Thank you so much for taking the time here to help. Lesson learned even though we all know this: always start at the routine basics. - Ahhh. Resolved! 🙂   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, how did you fix the problem? At the same time I received this error, Malwarebytes was acting out of control. Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines