Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting in the wrong size

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Lightroom 7.3.1 on MacOs Sierra.

From time to time I have the following issue - when resizing RAW images during export into smaller format jpg files the resulting size is not the one that I set up during export.

For example I have a folder with 5472 × 3648 RAW files and I am exporting 1920x1280 jpg files. In the end half of the files are the size I have set to export and half are 1918x1280 (or all of them). I use the option "Resize to fit" and put both dimensions into the export dialogue. I do not change the proportions of the photos or cut them, just do basic lens and colour correction (although isn't this dialogue supposed to resize the photos into the size I need even if I do?).

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 17.47.13.png

This happens pretty often and destroys my workflow as after each exportI need to check each picture in case it is not the size the client needs and them manually resize them again. How can I fix it?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

m90583877  wrote

Hi,

From time to time I have the following issue - when resizing RAW images during export into smaller format jpg files the resulting size is not the one that I set up during export.

For example I have a folder with 5472 × 3648 RAW files and I am exporting 1920x1280 jpg files. In the end half of the files are the size I have set to export and half are 1918x1280 (or all of them). I use the option "Resize to fit" and put both dimensions into

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The aspect ratio for your two sizes is exactly the same. As an experiment, try specifying just the long edge being 1920 pixels and forget about specifying both dimensions and compare the results. That's the way I usually export resized images, and the usually come out the way they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing it to the same batch of images, specifying the long side only, but the same issue happens.

Also would be great to know as sometimes in fact I do change the ration as well, but mostly not, and the issue happens in both cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting beyond my area of understanding. As far as the images that don't resize correctly are concerned, does Lightroom report the size of the original images being any different than the other images? I really don't have any other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR Export "Resize" feature is not an "exact" science. It may not always crop an image to the exact W & H stated in the Resize dialog.

As I understand Resize when stating BOTH Width and Height (eg. 1920 x 1080), you are defining the 'Outer Boundaries' of a "box" that will hold your image for the resize function.  Thinking in this way explains why-

A Square crop image exports at 1080 x 1080  (with w1920 x h1080)  ie. maximum Height in the "box"

A panorama crop might export at  1920 x 720  ie. maximum Width within the "box"

A vertical crop might export at  720 x 1080     ie. maximum Height in the "box"

When your original file (5472 × 3648) is not an exact equivalent ratio, a "two pixel" difference in the exported file dimensions (1918x1280) is totally acceptable IMO from Lightroom!!!!  (why "half or all of them"- a total mystery )

If you want EXACT 1920x1080 pixels you will need to crop and save in Photoshop.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC  wrote

When your original file (5472 × 3648) is not an exact equivalent ratio

It's not?

My calculator says it is.

In this case, the determination of what size in pixels the exported photo ought to be is essentially very trivial math. It's hard to imagine writing code that screws this up. I can't even see this two pixels difference as being round-off error. So I do not accept this explanation at this time.

But to be honest, I have never really dug into a two pixel difference, as I don't think I have ever experienced this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"(5472 × 3648) is not an exact equivalent ratio"   It's not? Correct.!!

mea culpa, sorry. Was never good at math. I calculated for 1920x1080.

JohanEl54  wrote

Lens corrections can cause a slight crop, and so your original aspect ratio may have changed slightly. Applying a small crop yourself, with a 16:9 aspect ratio preset, should solve the issue.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m90583877  wrote

Hi,

For example I have a folder with 5472 × 3648 RAW files and I am exporting 1920x1280 jpg files. In the end half of the files are the size I have set to export and half are 1918x1280 (or all of them). I use the option "Resize to fit" and put both dimensions into the export dialogue. I do not change the proportions of the photos or cut them, just do basic lens and colour correction (although isn't this dialogue supposed to resize the photos into the size I need even if I do?).

This happens pretty often and destroys my workflow as after each exportI need to check each picture in case it is not the size the client needs and them manually resize them again. How can I fix it?

Thank you!

Lens corrections can cause a slight crop, and so your original aspect ratio may have changed slightly. Applying a small crop yourself, with a 16:9 aspect ratio preset, should solve the issue.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

m90583877   wrote

Hi,

Thank you!

Good point! However, the aspect ratio is 3:2 in this example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I thought it was 1920 x 1080 (Full HD).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

Right; also auto straighten with confine crop, rotate, perspective correction - any operation that redraws pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I view the screen capture of the export dialog I am seeing 1.920 x 1.280 pixels which is not a valid selection it should be 1920 x 1280 there should be no “point” . Just saying.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes  wrote

When I view the screen capture of the export dialog I am seeing 1.920 x 1.280 pixels which is not a valid selection it should be 1920 x 1280 there should be no “point” . Just saying.

Nope. That depends on the language settings of the computer, and is certainly not the problem here. In the English language the point is the decimal sign. In some other languages the comma is the decimal sign and the point is used as thousands separator. My computer language is set to English but my number format and date format settings are Dutch. As a result I see the same thing.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the LR Preferences file, which often corrects unexplained issues such as you are experiencing. Close Lightroom and move the below Preferences file to your desktop. When Lightroom is restarted a new Preferences file will be created.

Mac OS X

MacintoshHD/Users/[UserName]/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences/

com.adobe.LightroomVERSION.LSSharedFileList.plist

Windows 7, 8 & 10

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\

LightroomVERSIONPreferences.agprefs

If this resolves the issue you will need to restore any custom Preferences settings and plugins you may have installed.

If it doesn't resolve the issue you can replace the original LR Preferences file from your desktop. Please post one of the original files that produces 1918x1280 export files to Dropbox or other file sharing site. Also confirm that this file consistently creates 1918x1280 export files by exporting it separately yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you vey much for the feedback! So basically Lightroom can not resize images with different ration, seems it always works as "make the long side xxx pixels"? Then what is the difference between "Resize to fit" long edge and resize to fit "Width and height"?

I guess my problems do come from one or two pixels that get cropped from the lens correction, I see no other explanation..

Then the only fix is do the cropping to a certain ratio of all the photos before exporting them I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the only option. Lightroom will only resize on export, not crop or distort.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have the image cropped exactly the way you want it to look. Otherwise, how would Lightroom be able to choose what to include in image if the program was left to choose dimensions in both directions? Lightroom is very precise in what it exports. In the same tone, you need to be very precise in what you want included in your output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m90583877  wrote

I guess my problems do come from one or two pixels that get cropped from the lens correction, I see no other explanation..

Lens Profile correction by itself does NOT change the image dimensions. The Transform panel, Lens Corrections> Manual> Distortion, and Crop panel 'Angle' controls can change the image dimensions, but it doesn't sound like you are applying them. You can check this for yourself by displaying the 'Cropped Dimensions' in the Develop module Loupe view as shown below. Are the files that produce 1918x1280 export files showing different 'Cropped Dimensions' than those that export as 1920x1280?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ. If the lens corrections panel needs to apply a pin cushion distortion of the image (because the lens itself has a barrel distortion), then I believe the image will be slightly cropped to avoid blank spaces in the middle of the edges. And for a non-square image that means a very slight change of the aspect ratio. I think that is exactly what happens to the OP.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

I beg to differ. If the lens corrections panel needs to apply a pin cushion distortion of the image (because the lens itself has a barrel distortion), then I believe the image will be slightly cropped to avoid blank spaces in the middle of the edges.

Nope, try it for yourself. Here's a Canon CR2 file shot with a 17-40mm lens at 17mmm, which has considerable barrel distortion. The left image has 'Enable Profile Corrections' unchecked and the right image has it checked with 100 Distortion and Vignetting correction applied. The cropped dimensions are identical for both (5616 x 3744).

Only the Transform panel, Lens Corrections> Manual panel> Distortion, and Crop panel Angle controls can change the image dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H’m, that means the image is uprezzed. Bad choice, Adobe. So how do you explain what the OP is seeing? His original 5472 x 3648 image should resize to exactly 1920 x 1280 if he does not manually transform the image (and he claims he does not).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JohanEl54  wrote

So how do you explain what the OP is seeing? His original 5472 x 3648 image should resize to exactly 1920 x 1280 if he does not manually transform the image (and he claims he does not).

It's possible he inadvertently applied one of the settings that can change aspect ratio to some files. Let's see how the OP replies concerning the 'Cropped Dimensions' display value for the original image files that export with incorrect 1918x1280 output files. If they are the same dimensions (5472 × 3648) as the files that export correctly as 1920x1280 then I suggest resetting the LR Preferences files as outlined in my reply #12 above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines