• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maya to After effects nightmare

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I´m trying to export my camera and some locators to after effects and the resulting scene seems to suffer from offset of a wrong

camera. I don´t know if i am doing something wrong but i´ve followed

the instrucctions i´ve seen everywhere with no succes. Even Maya live

link is failing.

I have a 1920x1080 maya scene (the same in AE), i create some planes, one camera, set its

Fil Aspect Ratio to 1.778, render from Arnold and then i try to import

the camera via .ma files, .fbx (via FBX to AE plugin) and AE Live Link, and i always get the

same result, the planes are not in position.

This is driving me crazy.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

I guess it has to be with the scene scale or some camera setting that im not able to recognize yet...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What error message did you get from Maya live link? What position is wrong? XYZ axis all or Z axis only?

AE Live Link window | Maya | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a 1:1 aspect ratio?

Hope this helps,

Angie Taylor | http://www.creativecabin.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Angie!

That will change the already approved angle of view, and i would need to render almost 2000 frames again (20 minutes each).

I don´t know what to do to make this work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi saskia,

Feel free to file a case with our agents here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I missed your reply on this message. Have you checked that the composition settings in AE are the same as the Render/ Scene settings in Maya? I'm thinking specifically of aspect ratios both  the frame and pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having trouble with this saskia? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am also experiencing the same issue on my end.

I have a set in Maya which has been populated with data from a live action shoot. Said scene consists of a tracked camera, locators, and props. Within Maya, when I overlay my live action plates over the geometry and view it through the tracked camera, the scene lines up perfectly 1:1.

Everything seems to go amiss once we export the camera and trackers into After Effects via the LiveLink plugin, though. When looking through the camera in After Effects and overlaying the locators on top of the live action plate, the data is offset quite substantially from the live action plate. I would say that the offset is as much as 25%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nonsense. I'm following the same procedures from 10 YEARS ago - and it's still just as broke.

y'all suck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This work around fixed it for me.

Create a brand new maya camera and point/orient constrain it to your original camera, then transfer focal length and cam aperture.

So this new camera when brought into AE works like a charm. Dont know why but hey....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got stuck into this nightmare myself, and this worked for me:
Fit Resolution Gate (in CameraShape, Film Back rollout) needs to be set to Horizontal (it is set to Fill by default).
Next, you will probably want to change Film Aspect Ratio as well. Just divide width by height of your frame resolution, and the camera view will go back to what it looked like before changing the Fit Resolution Gate.
Export the camera to After Effects with Live Link and everything should line up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a lifesaver! Thank you so, so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad that worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I was mistaken. I couldn't erase this, so I deleted what I wrote. T T

Have a nice day~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines