• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is a Sentence Level Wordcount Possible via Scripting?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in creating a script that works at the sentence level that counts the number of words in a selected sentence and reports it in the Output View to help the author write more concisely. Is such a thing is possible in RoboHelp 9, the verison I have? For example, can a RH script operate on selected text, like it can in a Word macro?

It's been a while since I've worked ona RH script, but from what I remember, something like this isn't possilble.

If that isn't possible, is it possible to to it at the topic level? For example, go through each sentence, count all the words in each sentence in a topic, and if any sentence is greater than the number of specified words, it displays that sentence in the output view.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I figured out a way to do it at the topic level, and that's sufficient for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jared

Just saw a link to http://www.wordcounter.net/

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add: In RH10 you can be notified when a topic is opened or closed. With scripting there is no way to determine which content on a page is selected. The only way to know which topics are currently opened is by setting a script to monitor the open and close topic events and save the open topics in a settings file so that other scripts can use that information.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another tool to count and spell check

http://codebeautify.org/wordcounter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I ended up creating a script in RH 9 where I type in the HTML name and it goes through each sentence and spits out those with more than the desired number of words in the output pane. It's a bit of a hack, but it serves my purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this post nice article Word Counter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp