Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Crash on certain PDF's after opening

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are using a reputable 3rd party application to generate PDF's.  Occasionally, we get a PDF that will crash Adobe Acrobat 11.0.23(it also crashes versions of 10).

Here is the file:

http://gregblatz.com/download/Crash_Example_for_Forum.PDF

Can someone help identify what it is about this file or about Adobe Acrobat 10 and 11 that causes this crash?

We can open the file in Foxit Reader, Nuance Power PDF, Abbyy Finereader and Adobe Acrobat DC without crashing.

Our users are sticking with Adobe Acrobat 11.0.23 for the foreseeable future so we would like to find out if there is a fix or setting for Adobe Acrobat 11 that addresses this.

When I look in the event viewer after the crash I see this:

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 11.0.23.22, time stamp: 0x59f9d04e

Faulting module name: JP2KLib.dll, version: 2.0.0.39493, time stamp: 0x59f3aeb2

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0004a390

Faulting process id: 0x1760

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4070ea45bf5d4

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\JP2KLib.dll

Report Id: e77aafc7-7301-11e8-b8d3-534e57000000

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gregblatz,

As per the issue description mentioned above, Acrobat XI crashing when trying to open certain pdf files, is that correct?

We tried replicating the issue with the file you shared above on Acrobat XI version 11.0.23, Windows 7, but the issue was not reproducible. If you have Windows 10 installed on the machine, try running Acrobat in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and check if that helps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

You may also try the troubleshooting steps given in this help document: Troubleshoot errors, freezes | Adobe Reader | Windows

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply Shivam,

All end users are on windows 7

What we find is that when we open the document, it does not crash immediately.

Once it opens, the cursor changes to a + sign.

About 5-7 seconds after opening, I get an error:

Adobe Acrobat has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Since it is not crashing in your testing, I assume that there are some settings in your application that are different than mine and that may account for why it is crashing on my system.

Can you provide any details in regards to settings that I could test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

I learned a few new things.

I noticed that I cannot edit the following in the preferences:

1. Edit --> Preferences --> Security (Enhanced)

I cannot change the ‘Protected View’ as it is greyed out.

Mine was set to ‘OFF’

I edited the registry like this:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\11.0\FeatureLockdown

I changed the value if 'iProtectedView' from zero to 2

Now my 'Protected View' is set to 'All Files'

The pdf still crashed the app.

So, I checked the box for 'Security (Enhanced)' 'Automatically trust documents with valid certification'

Now the document opens without crashing, however, Protected Mode must be on, if I turn it off, it still crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reputable 3rd party application to generate PDF's is very problematic for users. I also have face the same, when i try to download this file my Adobe Acrobat was crash, soi decide to go Microsoft edge customer service for help, they told me the process, which will i have a need to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

gregblatz  wrote

I edited the registry like this:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\11.0\FeatureLockdown

I changed the value if 'iProtectedView' from zero to 2

Now my 'Protected View' is set to 'All Files'

If you have changed the Protected view registry settings as mentioned above, it means that "Protected View is enabled for all files"

Refer to this help document for the same: Trust Manager 

It seems like enabling the option "automatically trust documents ...... under "Privileged locations" worked.

You may visit following help document for more on privileged locations: Protected View feature for PDFs (Windows), Adobe Reader

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines