• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection Tool Won't Resize

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator was working fine for me all last week and I've never had a problem using the selection tool to grab and resize my objects but for some reason today my selection tool will only SELECT objects, not resize them.  Upon approaching the corner of an object, the black arrow remains but a small white square appears at the bottom right instead of the entire cursor turning into resizing/rotating arrows.  I tried restarting my computer to no avail.  It happens on objects I create as well as objects that I place in.  Any thoughts...?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Bitty,

View>Show Bounding Box (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+B).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bitty,

View>Show Bounding Box (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+B).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU.  And thank you for not making a snide comment on my lack of knowledge on the topic -- I'm still taking classes!  You made my day

I would have been so frustrated trying to figure that out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Bitty.

The Bounding Box becoming hidden is a recurring issue that has hit many users, including many experienced ones. It may be switched inadvertedly by the user, but it may also be caused by corruption of the preferences in the aiprefs file, something that may happen when Illy is closed down.

There are many things you have to know and cannot Read in The Fine Manual, such as the unavailability of keyboard shortcuts starting with Alt/Option when Caps Lock is on.

Apart from that I may be curt and even obtuse, but I never make snide comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! this happened to me, was driving me crazy, u never realize how important that little feature is, til you are under deadline, and cant figure out what happened or what you might have clicked by accident to change settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem. And you helped me resolve it. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what, @BittyEnd — some of us who have been using Illustrator since it first came out still don't know everything about it. Don't feel bad, and I second your kudos to @Jacob Bugge for simply helping out, and not making you feel bad for asking. 

I just came here today to help a coworker figure out how to turn this off, and Jacob's short, concise answer did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gavin,

The Show Bounding Box thread lives: after only 3 posts in 2009, it was quite quiet until it took off in 2015 with at least one post every year.

As mentioned in 2018 here, and in some other threads over the years, it is rather sneaky for everyone regardless of experience: just look at the surrounding keyboard shortcuts where a mishit can go unnoticed, and the (much later) issue unsuspected and unconsidered.

Only Show Edges is more defenseless, as you can see, with other keyboard shortcuts closing in on all sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true! Myself and my coworker are running the same macOS and the same Illustrator version, and yet I wasn’t have this problem, so I knew there had to be a solution, and looking at the cursor status and what he was experiencing, I said to myself, “Wait a minute, I know I’ve seen this before — there’s got to be a solution out there.” And sure enough, this thread came up.

P.S. I know it looks like I’m a noob on here, but this is just my work profile for this new job. LOL. On my home profile, I’ve been using Illustrator since it was distributed by Aldus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gavin, I could see your non noobishness. For my own part, my (only account) Join Date was reset in 2006, seemingly in connexion with the merging of the Adobe and Macromedia forums (where Macromedia screen names took presedence, by the way); in those days, threads were archived and then fell into the abyss within a few years after latest posts, which I found out in 2004 when looking in vain for some important older ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my personal and oldest SN still extant. I had an older one, but lost it when the company I was working for went bankrupt. I actually wrote a drawing program in AppleSoft about 8 years before Thomas and John wrote Photoshop, but I fell in love with their program when it came out, because it could do all the things my program could do, and the also the things I couldn't figure out how to program into mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! I have been using it for years, I came in this morning and that was happening to me first thing! I thought I was going crazy at first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! thank you, thank you. I also struggled with that and I got so frusrated. But now I am happy because of you. :0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Denitsa, in this 14th year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having a bunch of trouble with this. My bounding box is showing and the only thing that it will let me do with an object is round the corners and move the object. This never happened until the new update and I have no idea why. Please help. I am getting really angry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The object is a rectangle?

That's a known bug with certain systems. use the free transform tool instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIG THANKS! Bitty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. OMG! Thank you so much. I never changed the settings, so I couldn't understand what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. That issue has been stressing me up. I think I changed the settings as I was trying to un-group some objects using Ctrl+shift+G and I accidentally hit B instead of G.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

njengasheba,

It is even easier to mishit Ctrl+H (Show/Hide Edges), other commands closing in on all sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. Answer is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tHANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU!! This was driving me nuts! What a simple solution! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines