• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom exporting lower quality images?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi so I recently sent an image of mine that was shot with an SLR and exported out of Lightroom to my graphic designer. He then complained that I sent him a low quality image. The image I sent is 2400x1832 px at 300 resolution Bicubic and 8x6 inches. He uses Indesign mainly. I pulled the same picture into photoshop and I have no clue what he is talking about. The image looked great to me. I am just wondering if there is a way to export original in Lightroom Classic like there is in the Lightroom Mobile app on my iPad and iPhone? Or maybe I am just exporting wrong or maybe there is nothing wrong with what I am doing and he got it into his programs wrong. He wasn't exactly clear as to what the lack of quality was. Any insights would be more then helpful thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export Original is one of the presets that comes pre-installed. But do you really want to send him a raw file (with edits in xmp)? I would start by asking him to specify his complaint.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 300 resolution setting is basically meaningless. The image is 2400 x 1832 pixels regardless of what the resolution is. It all depends on what your graphic designer needed to do with that image. Changing the resolution will do nothing to increase or decrease the quality of the image. The only thing that would change the quality would be to provide more pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> He then complained that I sent him a low quality image.

I'm afraid he is right, in general terms that is a low resolution image. It is a 4 Megapixel image and modern cameras output images that are much higher in resolution - 20 to 50 Mp. So unless your camera is more than 15 years old, it is probably capable of much more. It sounds as though you are downsizing the image at export and if you can show us a screen shot of your Export Settings, perhaps we can help.

On the other hand, if all you want is a 6x8 print or to share it online, a reduced size image of those dimensions is entirely adequate for that. But you would not need a graphic designer for that.

I would note, however, that for a 6x8 print the image dimensions should be 1800x2400 pixels and since the printer will crop it to that you may lose some important details from the short side. Adjust your crop in LR to be an aspect ratio of 3:4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

He then complained that I sent him a low quality image.

So then ask him specifically to provide details about what is low quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines