Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CLASSIC CC 7.4 Migration?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Im currently migrating from an old iMac to a new iMac and started to migrate LR Classic CC.

When copying over the Lightroom Catalog.lrcat I was told that the catalogue would need to be upgraded. Which I duly did. The result is that I can only see 68000 of my 120000 photos. The system loaded the 68000 photos and stopped.

There are no '?' just a lot of images not showing.

I have my photographs and lrcat on an external HD. They are still all there, thank goodness.

When I returned the Ext HD to there old iMac it could see all 120000 photographs.

Ive no idea what the issue is and cannot find anyway to contact Adobe directly.

Can anyone help?

Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Migrating" is not a Lightroom word or command.

Tell us the EXACT sequence of steps you followed, in detail, leaving nothing out. Use the Lightroom names of the function or command that you used..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry the migration referred to the old and new iMac.

I opened LR Classic CC on the new iMac.

I then opened Catalogue Settings.

I then pointed LR to the location of lrcat file by opening SHOW

LR then asks me if I want to relaunch with the new Ircat  and tells me that it will close the existing copy.

It then says that there is a newer version of the lrcat  file and do I want to launch from the new or the old version

I launch from the old version

it then instantly starts to load and shows me the files being populated

They get to 68086

There are over 120,000 photos.

The Lacie 4TB has the lrcat and has photographs on it.

I moved the lrcat sometime ago as the old iMac ran out of space on the 250GB SSD

I'm noticing in the folders pane that, on the Lacie 4TB external drive, the files are missing the top level and appear as a row of single folders. These should have folders and sub folders

The other three Ext HDs have folders and sub folders

The images that I see are both  new ones and old ones.

Ive just run it again and this time it reaches All Photographs 68379

Ive been reading a incident experienced by another user that states that  LR Classic CC can't handle large catalogues and Adobe s solution is to make smaller catalogues.

Hope this makes more sense.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what was in that "newer" version of the catalog? Why did you choose the older version? And I don't know where the other user got the information about Lightroom not being able to handle "larger" catalogs. That's nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newer version was the one that I had already used, so I took the view to do the conversion with a 'clean copy'

Copy of DP Review thread

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4219752

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4219752

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been reading a incident experienced by another user that states that  LR Classic CC can't handle large catalogues and Adobe s solution is to make smaller catalogues.

Utter nonsense and misinformation.

I'm not sure I follow all your steps. However ... first make sure you know which catalog file on the old computer has over 120,000 photos. Move that catalog file from the old computer to the new computer. Then launch Lightroom. Then use File-Open Catalog and select the catalog file you just moved from the old computer to the new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Im fairly sure that thats what Ive already done but Ill give it a try once more.

Been at this for 24 hrs and starting to fly!

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No Improvement.
Even taken LR back to previous version.

Ill leave it for now and try to get Adobe support tomorrow.

Thanks for trying

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines