• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Limiting Walk cycle head movements

Participant ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having fun getting into walk cycles finally. The only thing I can't figure out is how to limit head movement during cycles. During the normal walk i'm OK but any other styles my head and neck are all over the place. Is there a way to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

I took a look at your puppet. I don't have a definitive answer to your issues, but do have a few suggestions. It is probably a good idea for each body profile to have its own head group. You could use the same head setup, but put a copy in each body group. That way you are less likely to get the strange head movement. The Maddy puppet at Character Animator Examples would be a good example. Then using just a single walk behavior would offer more consistency when the left and right walk profiles a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say the head is all over the place, do you mean it is flopping, warping, separating from the body, or what? Can you post a screen cap of your puppet and the rigging you are using, or a video of what you see? How does your puppet/rigging compare with examples such as the Walkbot puppet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to record and wow thats a whole different problem. It plays back completely differently then recorded if I try to do multiple walk styles in one scene. I recorded two separate videos.

Regular walk (not bad): Scene - Jameis Walk.mp4 - Google Drive 

Slump (major head disconnect): Scene - Jameis Winston slump.mp4 - Google Drive

Puppet: Jameis Winston.puppet - Google Drive

I think one of my problems is I have two walk behaviors. My walk right is at the character behavior and my walk left is at the left profile (actually rt profile) because it wouldn't let me tag handles (neck, knee, ect.) on a 2nd walk behavior at the character level (i make a 2nd walk behavior put I can't manually assign the right profile tags cos its already tagged to the left on the original walk behavior.)

Also you can see both walks look like the character is dragging his feet, is there a way to adjust this? My stride length is already up to 750%. Elbows look backward in the slump as well, enough though I have sticks on all arms.

Thanks in advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at your puppet. I don't have a definitive answer to your issues, but do have a few suggestions. It is probably a good idea for each body profile to have its own head group. You could use the same head setup, but put a copy in each body group. That way you are less likely to get the strange head movement. The Maddy puppet at Character Animator Examples would be a good example. Then using just a single walk behavior would offer more consistency when the left and right walk profiles are visible. I would put the walk behavior at the level above the three profiles. Once that is accomplished the dragging feet can be addressed by adjusting the location of the walk handles, and by playing with the walk behavior parameters. For instance, increasing the walk strength and decreasing the stride length might solve the shuffling problem. Sometimes a puppet's walk is sensitive to exactly where the handles are located, as well as the geometry of the legs and arms. Shifting the handles just a little bit can often make a significant difference in some puppets.

I hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does help but if I reorganize that way will I still be able to turn my head without turning my body?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The puppet head will change profiles using triggers, if the heads are set up that way. Also, the puppet head will respond to a live camera, but may not turn to the different profiles. It depends how you tag them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines