• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horizontal Band Removal (Caused by cheap lighting) AKA Flicker Removal

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this question has been discussed in past years but never truely answered. So bringing it up again to see if there have been any improvements.

I was shooting some event footage at a corn maze and shooting with available light. That light was a series of cheap LEDs, street lamps, and so forth. All of which produced wide horizontal banding when my shutter speed was set around 1/60 and 1/80 of a second. Creating a post production issue where I have not found a solution just yet to remove the unsightly look. All likelihood I will just ignore the footage,  however, that should not be the case in trying to find a solution to this problem.

There are plugins out there that "fix" the issue. But wanting to focus on just using plugins and techniques inside After Effects without resorting to third party plugins first. So has anyone encountered this issue and found a solution that can fix the problem? I am certain this has been an issue since DSLRs are so common place now for videography, that nearly everyone has this issue.

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this article to be very useful: http://www.provideocoalition.com/flicker-removal/

after reading it and a bit of testing, I found GBDeflicker the most useful for my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Display LED lighting can be completely unusable for filming and photography because the lights turn off and on completely several times per second. If your  bands are hard lines that match up to the scan lines in the image then there's not much you can do to easily fix the problem. This is a completely different problem than flicker caused by shooting with an NTSC camera in a PAL country where the lighting runs as 50 HZ and your camera is set up for 60 hz. That kind of flicker can usually be fairly effectively dealt with. LED lighting incompatible with video and photography cannot.

Please post an image so we can be sure but I think that's what you are dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a film shoot today and I used LED film lights and they worked great for the first  4-5 hours of the shoot. The issue of flickering on the monitor occured out of nowhere and annoyed the crew. Hoping I can fix the footage in post. The flickering issue really snuck up on us. Do you know anything about why it wouldn''t flicker on the monitor right away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I have a diffuser filter for the LED box but I also have a soft box addition that I can put on the light to diffuse it further. Would a soft box solve the flicker problem or at least minimize it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dark banding on my photos taking in silent mode using my Sony camera, how remove these ?

These dark bands are caused by cheap LED lighting vs rolling shutter of the camera (Sony a6300).

84283812-AE3E-4DF8-A15B-4FE4B17E8711.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is highly likely that Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free can significantly improve that banding. Go to their website and download the demo.

Flicker Free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've installed the plugin but can't seem to be able to access it in Premiere Pro 2021. Should I be looking for something other than "Flicker Free" in the effects panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines