• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 - searching with

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone has any tips on how to search for a phrase (quotes don't work) it would be great. RH7 is excellent to use, but the search is very rudimentary, unless I am missing some kind of setup?

I need to push for upgrading to 8 which, I understand, addresses the search issue and some other important things, like better css handling.

And don't get me started on the clunky table usage in RH7 :) I have to say, that Word has RH beat on this one.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ZoomSearch? See my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, here's a wacked out and totally insane thought.

(Pssst over here. I'll say this quietly because if everyone found out about it, there's no telling where it may lead.)There's this wild and crazy feature that RoboHelp provides that if used carefully and properly would totally blow away any need to search. EVER!

Again, I don't want to say this too loud, but you might want to explore this little facet called the Index. But don't even THINK about using it unless you really want your help to be, you know, useful or something. Otherwise, I'd stick to only focusing on search and let them just root around for the information they want.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx for the sarky response Rick.
No the index is not really going to work for my situation as a search tool. can you find phrases embedded in a sea of text using index? Methinks this is a stretch.

I will look at Peter's article on the Zoom search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Sue

You're welcome!

Actually one *CAN* find a phrase in a sea of text using the index. Provided the help author correctly anticipated the phrase the user may need to find and programmed the index that way.

When I worked as a corporate drone and had a very large help system deployed to a call center, I didn't even give my users an ability to search. All they had was an index and they were quite productive and happy users. Then again, I put a LOT of effort into building a really good index.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Rick. Us index Luddites need to stick together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp