Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing when opening files from Google File Stream

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 1.55.09 PM.png

I get these same errors every time I try to open InDesigns files via the desktop Google File Stream. The only work around I've found is making anything I need to work with available via Offline Mode.

This is the response I've gotten from Google:

"Thanks for sharing more details. It seems the error is generated by the InDesign program, unfortunately this can't be fixed by Google, since the issue is not related to File Stream. It seems like InDesign saves a type of temp file that can't be found by the program."

Can you guys help me resolve this? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, InDesign is crashing while opening a specific file from Drive File Stream. Our engineers are investigating this issue. I would request if you can upvote this issue and share your details here: Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive – Adobe InDesign Feedback.

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Till the time it is fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i get the same issues.

for the second error, i have to have another person that can open the file make me a legacy file, than it opens fine.

We get file stream via out company IT, and i have opened tickets about this. they also point to indesign as the source of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filestream and InDesgin is proving to be a dangerous combo for me. All my ID files are showing up as 0kb.

Need to recreate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't represent Adobe, and wouldn't broach all the technical details involved, but in simple terms:

In order to continue functioning properly, InDesign has, and needs to maintain, a particular "relationship" with a given open file. Opening files across a local network has often been found to threaten that relationship in various ways, so it stands to reason that opening files across an Internet connection (a considerably more fragile connection than a LAN) would also pose various file-integrity threats.

Even with the stoutest connection possible, Google File Stream is far too young for anyone to presume that every application they run should run well with it as the file source.

I strongly suspect the current solution to your problem will be to stop trying to work across your File Stream connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just strange that our global team has been working this way for a few months now. This issue only became a problem as of last week. Before then, working fine with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

julie.cerullo  wrote

. . . our global team has been working this way for a few months now. This issue only became a problem as of last week. Before then, working fine with no issues.

I can't say whether anyone from Adobe will see this thread and get involved, but if they do, that could be an important fact for them to consider. Any other facts and details you can post might help too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem, months of use with no problems then as of a couple of weeks ago, every time I try to open a file from File Stream, Indesign crashes. Strange that it doesn't seem to happen with .idml files? The workaround so far is to allow offline access to the files but this kinda negates the value in using File Stream in the first place!

I've just been on the phone to a (very unhelpful) rep at Adobe who basically said it wasn't their fault and I need to ask Google what's wrong at their end. So glad I'm paying a premium subscription for that level of customer service 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

katherineh30341883  wrote

… Strange that it doesn't seem to happen with .idml files?

Hi,

if you open an IDML file the document is unsaved.

That means the reference is done to a temp folder on your machine and not on the network.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem it has work fine for months. Now it doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me. Files started crashing for me within the last week or two. I’m on a 2014 MacBook Pro. My co-workers don’t have an issue because they’re on iMacs with enough memory to have everything synced to their drives.

I’ve also been having an issue lately sending attachments through Outlook for Mac. Yet again, Google says it’s “not their problem.” Seems like there are a lot of things going on with File Stream that “aren’t (Google’s) problem.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only hope someone from Adobe reads this and offers some practical advice! It's super frustrating, and perplexing that it should suddenly start happening — and from what I can tell, unrelated to the latest update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using File Stream as soon as it came out in late 2017 and didn't have this issue at all until last month (May 2018). It also didn't seem to start around any InDesign software updates which makes me think something changed on Google's end of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelmagicmemories  wrote

I started using File Stream as soon as it came out in late 2017 and didn't have this issue at all until last month (May 2018). It also didn't seem to start around any InDesign software updates which makes me think something changed on Google's end of things.

Hi Michael,

did you investigate things at Google's end?

Maybe something's in handling idlk files with File Stream has changed?

( I'm not affected, I'm using Dropbox for file sharing. This isn't without problems when sharing files between Macs and PCs. You have to be very careful with file naming. )

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this on a Google Help page and here’s their reply:

"Unfortunately, this error is generated by the InDesign program, and this can't be fixed by Google, since the issue is not related to File Stream. It seems like InDesign saves a type of temp file that can't be found by the program and that triggers this issue."

I've had attachment problems with Outlook for Mac after the switch to from Google Drive to File Stream, and Google blamed those on Microsoft as well.

So it appears "It's not us, it's them" is the official position for Google Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found something that seems to help avoid the crash. I think you'll need Markzware's free InDesign Previewer for this to work. https://markzware.com/products/id-util-macos/

When opening a file from File Stream, go to the Finder, select the file and preview it first (hit the space bar). Once the preview loads, you can close it and go ahead and double-click the file to open it.

Since I've been opening files this way, I've only had one crash, as opposed to when I get in a hurry and forget to do this, it seems to crash about half the time.

By the way, I've had the same experience as everyone else here -- worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google needs to work with Adobe on this or they will end up losing a huge client base.

It worked for months so they must have changed something. I switched my whole team into file stream but if this continues I will have to move everyone over to Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are very sorry for this frustrating situation. As files are working fine locally from the system, we at Adobe have a very limited support on Network and VM related issues( Technical support boundaries for virtualized or server-based environments | CS  ) but from personal experience, I would suggest you few things which you must check:

• Check if the files are opening from other network locations like Dropbox.
  • Check if this is happening with your user account only or with multiple users.
  • Check if there is any antivirus or if there is any endpoint security or if there is any restriction imposed by your IT Team.
  • This generally happens when network policies or Operating System is updated, check with your IT team for the same.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you drag your file from drive to Indesign instead of double clicking it..... it will open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging to open worked all morning. Then 2 crashes this afternoon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging only works if indesign is already open. Don't drag a document onto indesign to open the doc and program at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have three designers (Latest MacOS X Mojave) working out of Drive File Stream full time, and it's totally fine most of the time. Recently we had a single file that would crash the second you tried to open it. The only way to open the file was to fully quit Drive File Stream (so InDesign wouldn't try to use Drive File Stream to find links), and then it would open.

We are still trying to figure out how to "fix" that one file so it will work with Drive File Stream and InDesign.

Adobe and Google really need to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, InDesign is crashing while opening a specific file from Drive File Stream. Our engineers are investigating this issue. I would request if you can upvote this issue and share your details here: Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive – Adobe InDesign Feedback.

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Till the time it is fixed we request you to please continue working locally and stay tuned for the updates on the UserVoice link. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines