Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC (2018) Keeps crashing on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop started to crash yesterday and at first it gave me this message

"Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled enhancements which use the graphics hardware..."

So I updated Photoshop to the newest version and reset all the preferences, and it started to crash every time I open it up.

I updated my graphic driver a few days ago so I thought maybe rolling back the driver would help, it didn't solve the problem.

The Driver I have right now is GeForce Game Ready Ver. 390.77 (Most updated)

and my Graphics card is Geforce GTX 1050Ti

Under my Graphics Processor Settings I tried unchecking "use graphic processor" and it didn't help with the crashes.

I even tried going back to Photoshop CC 2017 because I never had a problem with it before, but Photoshop would just crash within 10 minutes of opening it up

Is there a way to fix this? I can't open Photoshop at all without it crashing. I really need to get some work done over the so even a temporary fix would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I should probably mention that I have a wacom tablet so maybe that driver could be the problem? (although photoshop still crashes when my tablet is not plugged in)

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Hi

Photoshop is known to have issues when multiple graphics cards are installed.

See section 7 here:

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Photoshop stopped working the should be some details in you Windows reliability history which may point the the source depends on the module at fault.

CC 2017 crash.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at it

it says

Fault Module Name: nvoglv64.dll

Fault Module Version: 23.21.13.9077

Seems like it does have something to do with my nvidia driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have different Nvidia Adapters Quadro series 4000, k2200 and an M2000 and have not updated my drivers for some time.  I only update my Display drivers if I have a problem or the new driver is going to add value.  In my machine I seem to have old July 2017 drivers and do not have problems.  You may want to try  some older drivers. You can download old drivers from Nvidia site.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem & the event log shows this

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 19.1.6.5940, time stamp: 0x5b6a9e64

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0x2154

Faulting application start time: 0x01d46ba14e72718f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: e298931b-d637-45c1-b39b-8cb8dd2a8620

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same type of problem. I have GTX 1050 not the Ti. I also have problems with Substance painter and 3dsMax. I will post in NVidia forums instead. Thanks for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved my problem,

turns out it's something to do with my Nvidia driver setting.

Everytime I do something that's less graphics demanding in Photoshop it automatically switches to the Intel graphics card and the Nvidia one goes to sleep, but when I try to do something that requires the Nvidia card it doesn't wake up properly and my computer or program crashes.

This is what I did, you can try it and see if it works for you

1. Open up Nvidia control panel (right click on the Nvidia icon on the task manager)

2. Go to Manage 3D Settings from the left menu

3. Go to program settings

4. Using the drop down menu find Photoshop and all the other programs that crashes

5. Under Power management mode it should say Optimal Power, switch that to Prefer maximum performance

Now the 1050 graphics card won't go to sleep when using Photoshop, but you might want to keep an eye on GPU temperature and usage since the Nvidia card will be running the whole time. I'm not sure if it's the optimal solution but at least it worked. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop is known to have issues when multiple graphics cards are installed.

See section 7 here:

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much !!!

I had the same problem with a brand new computer.

Followed your instruction and now the problem is fixed and Photoshop is running super fast.

Thanks again !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried most of what is listed here and I can not get PS working. I even tried rolling back a few versions and still no good. It was working before. This is not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It would help if you provided more detailed information about your issue

Please take a look here

ASK- Forum Success Guide: Efficiently using the forums

Especially this bit "Tips for effective posting"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried changing the Nvidia settings as suggested and Photoshop would keep crashing.

Solution ended up being reinstalling the intel graphics driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a crashing problem with Windows 10, Fast Ring, Insider build 18262 which corrupted my system fonts.    Rolling back the Insider build fixed the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I always keep my drivers up to date, something, possibly a Windows update reverted my Intel Video Card driver to a very old (probably stock) version, what I did was, I uninstalled it in Safe Mode with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and I installed the latest proper drivers.

It's funny that Photoshop was having issues and was crashing with the Nvidia card, but updating the Intel Video Card Driver fixed the problem.

How do I know it was crashing because of the Nvidia Card? Because I disabled "Use Graphics Processor" it in Preferences -> Performance (I use Nvidia for Photoshop in Nvidia Control Panel), and this stopped Photoshop from crashing.

This was the case with Photoshop CC 18 but I have CS6 also, and on startup, it disabled Graphics Processor automatically to prevent crsahes and showed message about "...Enhancements disabled...".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bridge CC now crashes on startup. Photoshop CC is OK and CS6 Bridge works fine as do my other image editing applications and browsers. It is only Bridge CC that crashes on startup. I uninstalled and reinstalled Bridge but the problem continues.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH

Application Name:        Bridge.exe

Application Version:      9.0.3.279

Application Timestamp: 5ca38150

Fault Module Name:     nvoglv64.DLL

Fault Module Version:   23.21.13.9077

Fault Module Timestamp:       5a67b365

Exception Code:            c0000005

Exception Offset:           0000000000c0f8b2

This is why we do not rely on Adobe products with our business. Too much productivity is forever lost while trying to play systems engineer on the computers. It has become much worse with the Creative Cloud applications where updates are installed on a monthly basis. No more Adobe product updates once we get a stable version running on our company computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines