• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Raw files from LR with presets attached

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Lightroom peeps, I'm having issues, and even after watching videos I can't figure this out.

I imported a raw file into LR, attached a preset to it, saved it as "original" and the preset doesn't attach to it.

Online it states that by saving it as "Original", LR will, in addition to the raw file, create a .XMP file in the same folder which it doesn't do in my case and I can't figure out why or what I'm doing wrong.

I need to be able to send this file to somebody that doesn't have a desktop, they need to be able to save it on their phone, Open it in LR mobile, copy the settings of that picture and paste it onto their own. I know it is possible since I've been send a file like that before and I was able to open it in my mobile version and copy the settings, unfortunately the person that sent it is not very cooperative and doesn't want to give me any information on how she did it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

AngieBenita  wrote

Hey guys, I did exactly what you guys told me, Selected the picture, CTRL + S, Save metadata ti file, exported it into the folder. In the preview it shows me that the picture changed (Black and white to make it easy), but as soon as I upload it into dropbox, It is in color again.

WTH

How do you check that in Dropbox? The Dropbox app probably does not use the XMP file to display the image. It simply displays the original preview, which is still color. You’ll have to explain in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are looking for the 'Save Metadata' command.

Select your photo or photos

Go the the Metadata menu

Select 'Save Metadata to File' (default KB command CTRL+S)

I believe this saves the sidecar files for your RAW photos.

If you use the DNG format, there is also the 'Update DNG Preview & Metadata' command to write the data into the DNG file

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these files perhaps DNG files? If you export a DNG file ‘as original’, the edits will be stored inside the metadata of the DNG, not in a separate XMP file. Same for tiff and jpegs that are exported ‘as original’. XMP files are only used for proprietary raw files. When imported into Lightroom at the receivers end, you edits should come through just fine.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I did exactly what you guys told me, Selected the picture, CTRL + S, Save metadata ti file, exported it into the folder. In the preview it shows me that the picture changed (Black and white to make it easy), but as soon as I upload it into dropbox, It is in color again.

WTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XMP sidecar file MUST go along with the RAW file. Both work together. The RAW file is untouched, so it is the full color data. The sidecar files defines how ACR, LR, etc. process the RAW file.

A workaround is to convert the Camera RAW file to the open source DNG format, which includes the sidecar file inside the DNG file wrapper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you are working with proprietary Camera RAW files, such as Canon .CR2, Nikon .NEF, Olympus .ORF, etc.:

• Process your edits in LR
  • Once complete, Save the Metadata to file to create the .xmp sidecar file - no need to export the image
  • Upload the original RAW file + the sidecar .xmp file to Dropbox
  • The recipient must download both the camera RAW file and the .xmp sidecar file and store them in the same location.
  • Open the camera raw file in the editor of choice (LR, Photoshop, etc.), which should read the sidecar file to apply the edits made in LR.
  • If LR does not automatically read the sidecar file on import, the select the photo, go to the Metadata menu, and select the 'Read Metadata from File' option, Browse to the downloaded .xmp sidecar.

Alternative: convert the original camera RAW file to the Adobe DNG (Digital NeGative) format. This format wraps the RAW file and the sidecar into one common file format. This can be performed on Import, or on Export.

• Process your edits in LR
  • Once complete, Export from the Library Module
  • Select 'DNG' from the file format. Defaults should be fine, but you have the option to embed the original RAW file in the DNG export if you choose.

An advantage of the DNG format is that it is a single file to keep track of. No sidecar required.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AngieBenita  wrote

WTH

How do you check that in Dropbox? The Dropbox app probably does not use the XMP file to display the image. It simply displays the original preview, which is still color. You’ll have to explain in more detail what exactly you are doing.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines