Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR not finding missing photos

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Ive been using Lightroom for years, I recently upgraded to a newer Mac and updated to Lightroom Classic CC. Since moving over, predictably Lightroom cant find some images (around 21000 or 85000). I have tried all the obvious ways, (cmd click on folder - find missing folder / library - locate missing files etc...) though this doesn't seem to work and I'm sat waiting for hours waiting for nothing (even when plugged directly into server).
I know where all the files are, so i thought I'd do it manually, but when i click on the exclamation mark on each image, nothing happens, no box to locate missing image or anything. Has anyone ever had this before? Very frustrating as I have a ton of editing to do....booo!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screenshot of the ‘Help - System Info’ dialog?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

find missing folder / library - locate missing files etc...

You probably know this, but for benefit of others-This is not an automatic function.

Lightroom does not "Find" your files/folders by itself. You will wait for years if you expect LR to find them.

YOU have to browse to the folder where you "know where all the files are" and choose.

when i click on the exclamation mark on each image, nothing happens, no box to locate missing image or anything

OK so- There is a problem. You should be seeing a first dialog to [Locate] which then opens a Finder window.

Is it possible the window is opening behind another window and is not readily visible?

Curious also to see "System Info".

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem except that on my missing 4500 files - LR doesn't show the exclamation point - how do I get LR to find my missing files?
My Catalog was corrupted and restored with the help from Adobe and the restored catalog is the one that is missing a great number of files.
I tried to import the missing photos from my backup - by importing from another catalog - but LR can't open the catalog - it just tells me an error occured - so I can't import the photos that way.
Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annemettekuhl  wrote

I have a similar problem except that on my missing 4500 files - LR doesn't show the exclamation point - how do I get LR to find my missing files?
My Catalog was corrupted and restored with the help from Adobe and the restored catalog is the one that is missing a great number of files.
I tried to import the missing photos from my backup - by importing from another catalog - but LR can't open the catalog - it just tells me an error occured - so I can't import the photos that way.
Any suggestions?

Lightroom has no option to find missing photos by itself, you have to tell it where the photos are. You say that Lightroom does not show an exclamation point. If you mean that the missing photos aren’t anywhere in the restored catalog at all, then you probably have to import them again as new. You will lose the edits, but that’s the way it is. If the missing photos are shown in the catalog, but without an exclamation point, then that probably means that you do have smart previews for them. In that case check for missings folders first. Reconnecting a folder is much faster and more reliable than reconnecting images. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the problem is that LR doesn't seem to know that the files (LR-files with the edits) are missing - therefore no exclamation point in the corner - I was wondering if I could get around that......(can't do any of the things that I normally do - and as you're suggesting)

See the two screenshots - the first one is of a part of my catalog where it looks as it should - with an exclamation point for all the files that are missing (I have no problem finding those!)

Then this screenshot of the files missing - no exclamation point in the corner - when I go to develop module the edits are gone - but the keywords are still intact.

My next screenshot is showing the dialog that appears when I ask LR to show the photo in explorer:

My guess is that all the LR-files have been ruined during the restoring of the catalog - but as I said I have a backup where the LR-files with all edits etc. are - but it's an old catalog - I've tried to get the missing files into my repaired catalog - but my attempts of opening the old catalog via "Import from another catalog" has failed every time....
So I would love to be able to move the files over in another way......
Thanks for helping
-Annemette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no image files IN LR. LR is a Database program that References your images into the Database. the images are stored someplace on the hard drives connected to your computer.

The blank boxes, where the images normally would be displayed, are because there are no Previews of all those images. And none can be created because LR can't find the originals to use to create a preview file from.

There is exclamation marks on most all of your images which is saying those images are not on the same drive and not in the same folder they were in when they were imported into the LR catalog file, IE the LR Database file.

So you have more problems than just some of them NOT displaying the missing file exclamation mark.

First thing to check is that the option to use the GPU is turned off. Restart your computer and then open LR.

Search your drives for the image files. I suspect they are no longer on your computer. If you had a hard drive failure then not only was the catalog lost but all of your images. Hopefully you have backups of them on some other drive, internal or external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please!!

My GPU is turned off and has been since the last LR-update.
I know where ALL my RAW-image files are - I'm missing my LR-files!!

(- the catalog of LR is holding ALL my edits - ALL my keywording - ALL my Metadata in .xmp-files)
LR is not allowing me to see the Previews in my restored catalog OR to refind the path to remake them - by not showing the exclamation point ....as I wrote I don't really expect that failure can be helped - BUT I would like some help from somebody who knows about this problem - on how to reestablish my catalog or to transfer the LR-files from a backup....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you may have a problem with a corrupt previews cache, perhaps as a result of this restore operation. Your screenshots show some missing images, but also non-missing images with still no preview. Try the following: quit Lightroom. Open your catalog folder and remove ‘catalogname previews.lrdata’. Trash it or move it out of the catalog folder. Then start Lightroom again. Lightroom will now rebuild the previews cache. Initially you will still see these empty boxes, but them the previews should start to appear one by one. Except for those images that are missing, because they need to be reconnected first before Lightroom can build a preview.

Your last screenshot is worrying however. It could mean that the recovered catalog file was not fully recovered and is corrupt itself.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annemettekuhl  wrote

Any suggestions?

/what I bold and underlined in your original post is something completely different from having Missing images in the LR catalog file.

The images that you think are missing have never been imported into the LR catalog. So even though they are on your computer hard drive they are not in the LR catalog file, a Database File.

So your options are to Import those images. Or fine a backup catalog, LR by default automatically makes weekly backups of the catalog file, that is newer than the one you are currently using.

Also if you see thumbnails of images in LR and there is no exclamation mark on them then they are NOT missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You showed us screenshots of your filmstrip and your grid view. What would probably be more helpfull is a screenshot if your folders panel. Make sure it is expanded as mugh as possible, and that it shows the true parent folder that the catalog is in.

when you share this with us, include a description of what folder shown the actual missing

images should be in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am in my Library module my folder is fine and the images have no exclamation point on them.  But when I go into Develop mode it says "file cannot be found" still no exclamation points on the thumbnails.  I edited and exported one image and it seemed to be fine, but I'm not sure why is says "file cannot be found"? Also I did try to reimport the images, as they are still on my desktop, but since they were already imported they wouldn't re-import. There was also no "locate" option as there was no exclamation point.Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.20.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.20.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us the full complete unedited file name of this photo? Also please tell us the full complete unedited folder path of this photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file name is TH2_5040.NEF The original file is on my desktop and was imported to LF from there.  It has not been moved or altered in anyway. It won't allow me to "locate" file because in Library it's not showing as missing. Only when I move into develop mode. When I try to reimport it won't because it shows they've already been imported (grayed out images).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tiffanyh10668968  wrote

The file name is TH2_5040.NEF The original file is on my desktop and was imported to LF from there.  It has not been moved or altered in anyway. It won't allow me to "locate" file because in Library it's not showing as missing. Only when I move into develop mode. When I try to reimport it won't because it shows they've already been imported (grayed out images).

What is the full folder path and folder name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am about to point you to an experiment with one image. be aware this will eliminate any edits you accomplished. Be aware it might nit work. Be aware this is not a solution to more than one image. Be aware this is not efficient.

For the one image you are experimenting with, in Library module, accomplish the following

1) Right click, and select to show it in Finder, verify it’s location.

2) In LR, in the library module, remove it from the catalog (do NOT delete).

3) As a result of step 2 any (library) previews that might be corrupt for the one image are gone.

4) Collateral damage is any develop edits are gone

5) As it was removed from the catalog, it can now be imported.

6) Try to import it.

You might want to wait until Dj_paige remarks on the above.

I have questions about alternatively using the sync option for the folder, was that tried, should that be tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines