Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating .psd files midway through video

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

So I've been working with a video that I want to put a scoreline to and update it.  I've not experience with After Effects and thought I could do this with a .psd file.

I have generated my graphics and text templates. I loaded it into my sequence. I can update it perfectly.

What I am trying to do is be able to update it mid-way through the video, while retaining the original score from earlier on.

Is there a way to do this that does not require me to create a new psd (and thus might as well make export as a png) for every instance I wish to change the score?

Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

The easiest way would be to export different version of your PSD with the updated score.

The more complicated way, that could be interesting for you if you deal with that kind of situation regularly, would be to create a Motion Graphic Template in After Effects. That would require some work, but could save you some time in the long run.

Motion Graphic Templates are After Effects projects that can be exported into a "mogrt" files where certain defined paramters can be changed. The editable elements

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InvokeChaos,

Dynamic Link is not available for PSD files. The only workflow is to create a new PSD and import again.

Please post a feature request here: Premiere Pro: Hot (1584 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will do. @vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way would be to export different version of your PSD with the updated score.

The more complicated way, that could be interesting for you if you deal with that kind of situation regularly, would be to create a Motion Graphic Template in After Effects. That would require some work, but could save you some time in the long run.

Motion Graphic Templates are After Effects projects that can be exported into a "mogrt" files where certain defined paramters can be changed. The editable elements are defined in the AE project, so in your case you could import your psd, convert your score into text and then make this text editable. Of course, creating a mogrt requires a bit of work, and some underrstanding on how AE works, but if you deal with these kind of videos a lot, this is the way to go.

If it's one shot, just export how many psd files as needed.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is possible to update PSD files. No need to re-import, no need to use Dynamic Link.

1. Select the PSD you want to change.

2. Go to Edit > Edit Original (or press Ctrl+E)

3. Now Photoshop launches and loads the PSD file you selected in Premiere Pro

4. Edit the file in Photoshop and save the file.

Result:

The PSD file automatically updates in Premiere Pro when you save in Photoshop.

Edit Original is one of the best features in Premiere Pro/After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines