• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving library back to Lightroom 5 ?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi How do I move my library back to Lightroom 5 having accessed the trial version of Lightroom classic CC ?  I'm not sure about using the subscription based system yet. The library was automatically moved from 5 to Classic CC automatically however moving it back I'm having difficulty with.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog file cannot be converted to an an earlier version. However, when you first ran the Trial it would have created a backup copy of your Lr5.x catalog in the same folder as the original. The default location for Lr catalogs is the 'Pictures' folder. However, if you've stored elsewhere then the easiest way to find your catalogs is to open Lightroom 'Catalog Settings' then choose 'Show' in General panel.

Edit: added below screenshot

catalog location.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but how do I get my photos back into lightroom 5 ? I need an idiots guide, I find file handing confusing with Lightroom I've located the files but don't understand how to move them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a backup pf you lartest LR5 catalog? If yes take a look here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/disaster-strikes-corrupted-catalog/#restore

There you'll find additional informations how about to restore a catalog.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nightmare, I just don't get it probably should have not tried the trial of Lightroom classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just start Lightroom 5. It should open with its old catalog, because that catalog should still be where it always was. Lightroom 5 won’t show any edits or any other work (including imports) you did in the trial version, but that is inevitable.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Thats what I've been doing but the catalog had gone since trying out Lightroom Classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Docoman  wrote

Thank you. Thats what I've been doing but the catalog had gone since trying out Lightroom Classic CC.

What do you mean with 'the catalog has gone'? Lightroom can't run without a catalog. Does it tell you it can't find the catalog and ask you if you want to create a new one?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Docoman  wrote

The original catalog should still be there unless you deleted it yourself. Lightroom Classic CC created its own copy. Your old version of Lightroom should have been left intact and usable as it was before. The only thing you have to do is import the images again that you imported new using Lightroom Classic CC because they would have been imported into a different catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. I haven't deleted any files, my Lightroom 5 library module is showing a blank grid display where the original photos existed I seem to be having a problem locating the files. Its getting too complicated, unfortunately back to Photos for Mac I think and my back up drive for the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really strange because the photos are not "in" Lightroom. They are in folders on your hard drive(s), and everything is controlled and monitored by the catalog. As long as you are opening the same catalog that you were using previously, and as long as your images are still in the same place that they were previously, you should still be able to use your previous version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Docoman  wrote

Thanks for the replies. I haven't deleted any files, my Lightroom 5 library module is showing a blank grid display where the original photos existed I seem to be having a problem locating the files. Its getting too complicated, unfortunately back to Photos for Mac I think and my back up drive for the originals.

By itself, an initially blank display is normal. When your catalog is upgraded, a copy is made. But the previews aren't copied, they are renamed. So if you go back to using the old catalog, the previews have to be rebuilt (unless you rename the previews.lrdata file again yourself). Lightroom should automatically start doing that however, unless it can't find the original images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Hess is correct - your photo files themselves were not moved or removed by the newer Lightroom.

The newer lightroom simply made a new catalog, like a card catalog for library books. The catalog does not "move" the books, it just indicates where they are in the building and what the book is about!

When I upgraded from the previous version of Lightroom to the new one, Lightroom duplicated and renamed my catalog.

Look in your Pictures folder. Inside there should be a Lightroom folder. Inside the Lightroom folder you should see two items with the LR logo. One should be the name you first gave your catalog, and the new one will be the same but with a -2 added. The other files are the previews and smart previews files.  I deleted my old previews and smart previews files but kept the old catalog file so I could show people. Here is a screen grab of my Lightroom folder inside my Pictures folder.

To use the older version of Lightroom, simply click on the original Catalog and not the -2 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you have understanding problems? Please described what you have done.

If you don't do that in the meantime, deinstall the trial version of LR Classic CC.

Install Lightroom 5

Take the latest backup that you have done in LR5 (before you install Classic CC) and unzip the file. There must be a file with the .lrcat extension. Copy this lrcat - file into the appropriate folder:

Mac:  /Users/[username]/Pictures/Lightroom/xxx.lrcat

Windows: C:\Users\[user name]\Pictures\Lightroom\xxx.lrcat

Open Lightroom with this catalog.

Then it should be work.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines