• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 Not Seeing Images Previously In Catalog on One Drive

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an extensive catalog that includes images that are located on 4 internal HDD of my computer.  After upgrading to 7.4, Lightroom does not see any images on my D: drive.  The images are still there (multiple 10's of thousands).  My catalog shows the directory structure but shows no images in any of the directories on this one drive.  The other three drives are still in my catalog and working as expected.

When I select one of the smaller directories and click synchronize, Lightroom does not proceed to the import images step.  It stays in "counting" - even for a directory that has 5 images in it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Since I had nothing to lose, I apparently fixed it in the following manner:

1) Closed Lightroom, and using explorer, I renamed "D:\photographs" to be "D:\New Photographs"

2) Restarted Lightroom

3) Now got question marks in the folder icon of "photographs" folder, as expected

4) Removed D:\Data and all the other folders by right clicking each one and selecting "remove"
5) now my D: structure had just the photographs folder with question marks

6) Then right clicked on the "photographs" directory and sel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.  Disk drive D: has 1.5TB free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen reports about Lightroom showing folders but suddenly not the images where database corruption was the cause. Do you have a catalog backup you can try?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My backup is a couple months old and missing about 15,000 images that I added after that.  If I have to go back there I will, but I was hoping that there was an elegant solution out there.  As I said, it was working fine the day before the update was installed, I installed the update, then the next time I looked in Lightroom for that drive I noted the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vonmayr  wrote

My backup is a couple months old and missing about 15,000 images that I added after that.  If I have to go back there I will, but I was hoping that there was an elegant solution out there.  As I said, it was working fine the day before the update was installed, I installed the update, then the next time I looked in Lightroom for that drive I noted the issue. 

Yeah. The definition of a problem is that something doesn't work like it worked before... Maybe the update had something to do with it, maybe it's just coincidence. That is why regular backups are so important. A months old backup is no backup at all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a fact.  Laziness.  Still looking for a better answer than removing that drive from the catalog and rebuilding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

That is a fact.  Laziness.  Still looking for a better answer than removing that drive from the catalog and rebuilding.

That's not what I said and I don't know if that solves the problem. What I said is that you may have catalog corruption.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first try the following: Use menu 'File - Optimize Catalog'. If you are very lucky, then that solves the problem. Then make sure you make backups from now on.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then I’m afraid you’re out of luck. You could try if removing the disk and then importing it helps, or you need to start from that last backup. Whatever is less work, I suppose.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the catalog issue affects only one drive, what's the best way to use the backup for just the D: drive and leave the others alone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simplest way is to load a backup catalog and then export the images in the D drive (just select everything in there) as a new catalog (don't include the images) and import that catalog into the existing main catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

Simplest way is to load a backup catalog and then export the images in the D drive (just select everything in there) as a new catalog (don't include the images) and import that catalog into the existing main catalog.

It might be a bit difficult to export the images on the D drive as a new catalog if the problem is that those images are not seen anymore...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably they are still available in a backup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, assuming that they are in that backup in the first place, and are not newer images,

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then the problem remains that the main catalog might be corrupted...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but it is the only way to try to restore JUST the images on D: to the

main catalog. Didn't mean to imply it would be a panacea just if this is

what you want to attempt as asked above this is the way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but the problem is the main catalog. It's questionable if restoring the D: drive images to this catalog is a solution, especially for the longer term. That catalog might be corrupt, so even if restoring seems to do the trick, it may be just a matter of time before the problems begin again.

What the OP might consider is the following: First, open the main catalog, select all the images that it does see, and export them as a new catalog. That will be your new main catalog from now on. Then, if the D: drive images are still missing, try to get these from a backup catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vonmayr

Just out of curiosity, maybe we can eliminate or confirm a potential problem cause.

If you click on "All Photographs" and then use the Filter Bar in Lightroom to search for one of these files on the D: drive, by file name, can you find the file in Lightroom that way?

JohanEl54

It seems to me that a corrupted catalog might be the cause of this, but it also might be a new bug in the software. Neither situation really helps the original poster, but the implications are vastly different; a bug in the software implies that the catalog is not corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_page- when I click on "all photographs, all the images in the D: drive appear normally (no indications of missing, etc). When I search for a specific image on D: by selecting "all photographs" and then in the library filter "text" field typing in a file name, with and without wild cards, the image shows up as expected.  I tried developing, exporting, editing meta data on that image, all worked normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, since you found the photos, right-click on one of them and select Go to Folder in Library. Then on the left hand side, in the Folder panel, the folder that Lightroom thinks they should be in ought to be highlighted (you may have to scroll up or down to find the highlighted folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do that and it takes me to the folder in the library which still says that there are no files in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vonmayr  wrote

I do that and it takes me to the folder in the library which still says that there are no files in it.

So part of Lightroom reads the database and can find the folder that the photos are in, but another part of Lightroom reads the database and finds zero photos in the folder. Sounds like a bug to me.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me the exact path and name of this folder on the D: drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D:\Photographs\Dogs\Paradox Dals\~Our Dals\Turbo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines