• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing .WebM format files

Engaged ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running across increasing numbers of files in .WebM format and I want to be able to import these for use in projects    But as of my latest Premiere Pro update in April it's not listed as a supported format.   So how do I import these?

N.B. that WebM is a major format developed by a consortium of heavy hitters that includes Google, Netflix, Intel, and Amazon.

I found a few posts from way back in 2015 on WebM file converters on GitHub but people were complaining about missing libraries and installation problems.   Lots of GitHub software is experimental or student projects or amateur or side projects, and I'd prefer to use something supported and stable, of commercial quality.

There are also a few services in the cloud that claim to do it but some of my files are quite large so I'd rather do it all on my PC.  There's a website called Fnord that seems to have something but they're mainly a Mac house so I don't know how trustworthy they are for Windows software.   Why doesn't Creative Cloud natively support this?  (any Adobe people reading this?)

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Old thread with a June 2018 entry. Confirms not supported.

Re: .OGV and .WEBM Export

Link to free plugin:

WebM for Premiere

I just tested on Win 10, PR CC 2018.1.1.

Installed easily. Exported WebM and imported it to PR.

UserVoice feature requests. I did not find any entry for adding WebM or OGV.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1611 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread with a June 2018 entry. Confirms not supported.

Re: .OGV and .WEBM Export

Link to free plugin:

WebM for Premiere

I just tested on Win 10, PR CC 2018.1.1.

Installed easily. Exported WebM and imported it to PR.

UserVoice feature requests. I did not find any entry for adding WebM or OGV.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1611 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebM is a major format developed by a consortium of heavy hitters that includes Google, Netflix, Intel, and Amazon.

For delivery.  It is not well suited for editing.  Your best option is to acquire better versions from the copyright holders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best option is to acquire better versions from the copyright holders

I doubt that's the "best" option since this format seems to be spreading like a weed and it's seldom possible to determine who the copyright holder is for most stuff floating around out there on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's seldom possible to determine who the copyright holder is for most stuff floating around out there on the web.

You're not allowed to edit other peoples work without their permission.  So I still think getting a better version is the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're not allowed to edit other peoples work without their permission.

No, that's not true.  There's all kinds of fair-use provisions that allow you to incorporate other people's work in a wide variety of contexts.    See:  https://www.adweek.com/digital/fair-use-youtube/

. . . Although some of that might be about to change in the EU under article 13 (Italy Wikipedia shuts down in protest at EU copyright law - BBC News ).   Luckily I don't live in the EU.

Furthermore the rules have to do with the USE of the copyrighted material, not the editing of it.    You can edit anything you want in the privacy of your own home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines